Spriter Awesome Boss Contest! $1000 Grand Prize! Official Rules

lucid

52 minutes ago, mcalis said:

So the deadline is the 24th, but in what timezone? Where I live, it's still the 23rd (arguably it's going to be pretty tough to get something done in one day, but I might give it a shot just for fun and exercise).

Moreover, does the deadline end on the 24th itself or before the 24th? In other words: 23th of August at 12:00PM or 24th of August 12:00PM?

Thanks!

p.s. Just for the record: I didn't just sign up to these forums for this contest. I could've sworn I had an account on here, but the password reset request didn't find anything for either of my emailadresses. Might my account have been lost since the forum appears to be using new forum software (since I last checked in, that is)?

The deadline is August 24th 11:59PM EST.

36 minutes ago, saeedanwar92 said:

Hello,

can you please extend the submission date i need some time to complete my video..

For now, until we get the original contestants (who have until 11:59PM EST tomorrow) to agree to the rule change, and an additional submission window, then for now the deadline is the same.  If everyone agrees we will have a second submission window, but I can't guarantee that will happen just yet.

Here is a thought, what if you made a poll on this website that registered users as of the end of the contest submission 8/24/2016 date, can vote on which one they like the best. That way anyone after 8/24/2016 cannot vote, making bot accounts made after the date useless.

Hope this helps resolve the issue.

I'm also in favor of pushing back the voting date!
Not sure if you wanted that reply here or in some other way, but there it is...

5 hours ago, Heinz said:

If possible, Brashmonkey could open a poll here in which ONLY entrants can vote ONCE for an entry they think are worthy BESIDES their own...those numbers are pretty much solid.

Nobody outside or even inside besides the entrant accounts will be counted as a valid vote, if this seems reasonable and possible i think its a great method.

Personally I would prefer for the Brashmonkey team to vote themselves, but I do agree with Heinz here. I think this would be a simple yet effective way of voting.

3 hours ago, bwwd said:

The only fair way is to have anonymous entries and anonymous voting by people who have registered here before contest was even started, and only by participants of the contest (animators) so they at least have some knowledge about making animations in spriter and can judge final outcome better than random friend or family member, but allow for 2 votes, so you must vote for 2 entries at least and cant vote for just one....

bwwd is right in some aspects, but having to set up a registration for the competition would make it difficult for people such as myself (who usually never take note of these things) to enter. This competition has been a great opportunity for me to push myself into this part of making video games, so I thank Brashmonkey for providing it.

As far as judging goes, it might be a good idea to contact industry professionals who have used Spriter as part of a professional project. While it may be difficult to organize, it would ensure that the judges would be knowledgeable on the animation systems and could determine the merit of a project based on ambition and animation difficulty as well as the final visual product. A fair, balanced vote is invaluable, even if the process itself takes some time. On another note, I'm truly disappointed that those who cheated thought they could get away with such flagrant abuse without repercussions. It shows a complete lack of faith in one's work, and demonstrates a profound lack of respect for others. In my opinion, it would be wise to eject them from the competition altogether to demonstrate that dishonest practices will not be tolerated.

25 minutes ago, Reginald Yacht said:

As far as judging goes, it might be a good idea to contact industry professionals who have used Spriter as part of a professional project. While it may be difficult to organize, it would ensure that the judges would be knowledgeable on the animation systems and could determine the merit of a project based on ambition and animation difficulty as well as the final visual product. A fair, balanced vote is invaluable, even if the process itself takes some time. On another note, I'm truly disappointed that those who cheated thought they could get away with such flagrant abuse without repercussions. It shows a complete lack of faith in one's work, and demonstrates a profound lack of respect for others. In my opinion, it would be wise to eject them from the competition altogether to demonstrate that dishonest practices will not be tolerated.

I am totally agree with him

15 hours ago, rzapata said:

There's another unrelated art contest online and the approach that they're taking is:

Find 3 external judges who don't know among themselves nor the participants, who are artists that have worked or are working in the industry, so they have the knowledge to take the best decision.

This is also good, judges outside of spriter community but with knowledge about game animations, so entries would be numbered and they could vote for numbers instead of youtube videos, so they wont be biased by seeing likes or votes on youtube as well.I can reupload and provide other link to video than youtube, every gmail account required for youtube has google drive space so that could be best option to provide links.

I'm truly disappointed that those who cheated thought they could get away with such flagrant abuse without repercussions. It shows a complete lack of faith in one's work, and demonstrates a profound lack of respect for others. In my opinion, it would be wise to eject them from the competition altogether to demonstrate that dishonest practices will not be tolerated.

Yeah, for me it's actually the most important thing going forward. Even though i sadly didn't have the time to participate, i can't fathom people who try to cheat in such a contest.
And when those same people (who at some point had up to 3 times more likes than views on their video...) actually try to give their opinion on this matter like nothing happened... please, stop, it's despicable and disrespectful to Brashmonkey, the participants, and this entire community!

That being said, i do think that Brashmonkey should choose the winners. Yes, like they said, they may know some of the contestants, but i don't have any problem putting the decision in their hands. We can't risk people trying, once again, to cheat their way to victory.

Well, that's my two cents anyway.

Aw, dang. I wish I could've known about this contest sooner. :(

I tried though; really hard, to come up with an awesome boss just for this contest -- i started just around an hour ago and my plan was to put the details of the graphics later and focus on the bones and the animations first (see attached). But alas, i only have around two hours remaining whereas i needed just two or three more. :/

But anyway, i'll keep checking in with hopes of the deadline being extended and all that.

Regardless, goodluck to everyone who have successfully joined! :)

adramel_screenie.jpg

5 hours ago, DustyCat Media said:

Aw, dang. I wish I could've known about this contest sooner. :(

I tried though; really hard, to come up with an awesome boss just for this contest -- i started just around an hour ago and my plan was to put the details of the graphics later and focus on the bones and the animations first (see attached). But alas, i only have around two hours remaining whereas i needed just two or three more. :/

But anyway, i'll keep checking in with hopes of the deadline being extended and all that.

Regardless, goodluck to everyone who have successfully joined! :)

adramel_screenie.jpg

We (BrashMonkey) can't make any promises, because it depends on a unanimous agreement from all contestants..but it's possible the contest will be given a new, extended window for submissions, so you might wan't to finish this in the mean-time just in case. But again, we can't promise what other people will agree too, so don't do the work if it's not rewarding enough just to get it done... even if the contest does not re-open for submissions.

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

18 hours ago, Joe-Tex said:

And when those same people (who at some point had up to 3 times more likes than views on their video...) actually try to give their opinion on this matter like nothing happened... please, stop, it's despicable and disrespectful to Brashmonkey, the participants, and this entire community!

I agree , great first trollpost backed up by new accounts :)

Hi,

This is a message to all Brashmonkey admins and contest entries.

I will be pulling our entry from the competition, as a studio we wanted to be as professional as we possibly could but since we were informed by a user and some research we found, reported the user "bwwd" for using third party websites to buy his likes, the user since then embedded our content to such websites, created new accounts and post with link backs to cover up and/or point attention towards us, we made a quality submission, newgrounds promo and me personally lost my facebook account to frequent group posts to promote our entry.

We have lost enough, our name shall not be dragged down because of a dishonest entrant who cannot accept the fact that he was wrong and had been caught.

Best of luck to everyone else

Thank you

Heinz, Leadmen Studio

Heinz knows, im counting on him and i hope he wont pullout despite registering here only for the contest and instead he will clear up everything.Id also like to see IP's of all the guys who registered here recently to post trolling comments and give thumbs ups to each other cause its hilarious.

10 minutes ago, bwwd said:

Heinz knows, im counting on him and i hope he wont pullout despite registering here only for the contest and instead he will clear up everything.Id also like to see IP's of all the guys who registered here recently to post trolling comments and give thumbs ups to each other cause its hilarious.

You're unfamiliar with basic detective work, bwwd, Heinz never mentioned it, it was a checkmate question. You're shooting yourself on the foot here.

I see youre with him on it ? How do you know what he sent me in PM ? He actually did wrote that i submitted his content to third party which is obviously not true , but his content is indeed on kingdomlikes ! I want him to find out who did it before he blames me , i mentioned to some other user that his content is on kingdomlikes so i know there is a big family reunion here on forums since this contest started.

2fRQm.jpg

its really like a big family over here :) but ill wait until he will show us who submitted his video to kingdomlikes, because i know i didnt so its actualy funny for me !I only just want him to do his detective work and clear up his name , not pull out.Posting comments like that is only draggin you guys down, if youre so 100% sure i did it then you must have 100% legit proof right ? I want to see it ! Also do i gang up on you like that ? There is at least 3 new accounts who back up this guy which is really intertesting how many people chit chat about this in PM's or is it the same guy ? So i dont want him to pull out, i want him to get in as deep as he can to find out that i didnt submit his video to this website and his video is clearly over there.

I would also say that i never held Heinz accounting for any loss, i never ever mentioned it ! I dont know where he took this from.But now i actually suspect he created some accounts here or asked his friends to do it so they can gang up on me without any legit proofs and it somehow will make them look good ? :)

aaapm.jpg

First off, this could have all been avoided had we heeded the community's warnings against Like-based voting, specifically relating to how easy it is to manipulate and abuse the system.  We hope we can all agree that getting the contest back on track to a system where the art can be judged based solely on its merits is ideal for everyone.  We've actually lined up some fantastic artists and animators who are willing to judge the contest and are not privy to this current mess of a situation.  

When the situation was first brought to our attention for a specific user, when we went to verify, we ended up seeing another user's submission on the site.  Had we waited another five minutes, or logged in five minutes earlier, it's likely we wouldn't have seen the second video, or maybe we would have seen a third.  As has been covered in the thread already, it's possible for anyone to submit any video to KingdomLikes, and without turning this community into a crime scene investigation, it would be impossible to figure out who is abusing the system and how.  I'm sure KingdomLikes is not the only way to unfairly generate additional likes.  For this reason, we think it would be unfair to disqualify any specific participant(s) when we can't prove wrongdoing, and we would potentially be benefitting another abuser of the system who simply wasn't caught. 

The best solution is to switch to a system that can't be abused and where any potential current or previous abuse is irrelevant.  

Here is what we propose:

• The contest will be judged by three judges with game industry and animation experience.
  • So far, we have two awesome judges lined up - Nick Wozniak (Artist on Shovel Knight (http://store.steampowered.com/app/250760/)), and Nathan Lavato (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gdquest/game-art-quest-make-professional-2d-art-with-krita/description).   We're currently working on a third.   Edit:  We have our third judge: Louice Adler, concept and graphic artist at Tripwire Interactive (creators of Killing Floor)
  • In order to give an opportunity for anyone who stayed out of the contest due to the original YouTube-based judging to make an entry and participate, we'd like to extend the window of submission until the original judging date of August 31st (6 days from now).  This is also an opportunity for anyone who's already submitted to further tweak or improve your current entries if you'd like.  The judging should take place within a few days after that.
  • Anyone who makes any attempt to privately communicate with any of the judges before the judging takes place will be automatically disqualified regardless of the content of their communication.

Also, since we're trying to fix past oversights with the rules, we'd like to take this opportunity to clarify some things that weren't made explicit in the previously posted rules.

• Any sound effects in the submitted video should originate from the Spriter animation (sound effects should play back with the animation in Spriter)
  • You may have background music as long as either you (or your team) created it or you have the rights to use it.
  • Judging will be based only on visuals (and use of sound effects, if applicable) but not on background music.
  • No post production video effects other than simple fades from one animation to another.  Please avoid any effects that might be mistaken for part of the animation created in Spriter.
  • Don't worry if you have doubts about your already submitted entry breaking one of these clarified rules - all current entries will be allowed as they are.
  • All original rules aside from judging, prizes, and the clarifications made in this post still apply (see original post in this thread for reference)

As a thank you for agreeing to the rule change, we'll also increase the total prize pool to allow two additional prize winners, and a slight increase to second and third prize:

• The Grand Prize of $1,000.00 USD
  • Second place Prize of $400.00 USD
  • Third Place Prize of $300.00 USD
  • Fourth Place Prize of $200.00 USD
  • Fifth Place Prize of $100.00 USD

We can only enact these rule changes if all the current entrants agree to it.   To make this as simple and painless as possible, if you agree to this rule change please like this post (using the like button on the bottom right of the post (likethis2.png).  Once we have every participant in agreement, we can make the changes official.

Thanks for your patience, everyone. I'm about to unlock the thread.  Please make sure you've read Lucid's post (above) thoroughly before replying and though we will not censor, I'm asking and hoping we can avoid further accusations and arguments and hopefully bring this back to a friendly competition where only the quality of the art matters.

thanks again.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

2 minutes ago, tokegameart said:

i want to resubmit my entry since the music background is not allowed.
how to resubmit my video?

Hi.  I think you may have misread, it says:

2 hours ago, lucid said:
  • You may have background music as long as either you (or your team) created it or you have the rights to use it.
  • Judging will be based only on visuals (and use of sound effects, if applicable) but not on background music.

If you still want to resubmit anyway, we will reopen the submission thread if and when every entrant agrees.  It seems so far that everyone will be in agreement, but we can't reopen the submission thread until we've officially gotten unanimous agreement.

• lucid unpinned this topic