Spriter Awesome Boss Contest! $1000 Grand Prize! Official Rules

lucid

EDIT: Here are the new official rules, which all original contestants who would have one agreed to:

You can now start submitting your entries!  Instructions on how to submit here.

Click here to view and vote on contest entries. 

Official Rules:

EDIT: Please note, submission videos should include only visuals created by you and/or your direct team members and only visual effects/animations created in Spriter. Screen recording of you clicking or navigating the Spriter interface or your OS to show the finished animation(s) is also allowed. Please do not show recorded game or engine footage or post-processed video effects not made in Spriter. The only allowed exceptions to this are the simple fades that YouTube adds automatically if you submit your animations as a slide-show.

To enter, create at least animation using Spriter inspired by the phrase "Awesome Boss" in any way you see fit.  Additional animations of your boss are welcome, especially if you feel more animations are needed to show off the concept, but please limit yourself to only one boss per submission, and one submission per person or team.  

Teams may collaborate on a single entry, but will have to split any prize they might win among themselves the way they see fit.  For team submissions, one team member should be selected to submit the entry, and to receive the prize money.

As all entries must be visible to the public for voting, we'll only accept submissions which would not be considered “offensive” to or “inappropriate” for a general audience.

Any and all art styles are allowed, ranging from the use of 3d pre-rendered bits to old-school hand drawn pixel-art, or anything in-between, just so long as it's animated in Spriter, you're using only original art which no-one else has ownership of (partial or otherwise), and you haven't used any Art Pack content to create your boss.

You may submit animations you've already created, as long as they fit the theme, and you are the owner of the art.

Five cash prizes will be awarded via PayPal, based on the decision of our three judges:

• The Grand Prize of $1,000.00 USD
  • Second place Prize of $400.00 USD
  • Third Place Prize of $300.00 USD
  • Fourth Place Prize of $200.00 USD
  • Fifth Place Prize of $100.00 USD

Our three awesome judges are:

Nick Wozniak, Artist on Shovel Knight ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/250760/ )

Nathan Lavato ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gdquest/game-art-quest-make-professional-2d-art-with-krita/description )

Louice Adler, concept and graphic artist at Tripwire Interactive, creators of Killing Floor ( http://www.tripwireinteractive.com/ )

Judges will be sent a list to the playlist which includes all entries by Sept 1st. Judging results should be within a few days after that, at which point winners will be contacted and payment of prizes made via PayPal.

Judges will be considering the following attributes (among others) while casting their votes:

• Art style and quality
  • Animation (interesting, impressive, lively, etc.)
  • Originality
  • Awesomeness.

• Anyone who makes any attempt to privately communicate with any of the judges before the judging takes place will be automatically disqualified regardless of the content of their communication.

• Any sound effects in the submitted video should originate from the Spriter animation (sound effects should play back with the animation in Spriter)
  • You may have background music as long as either you (or your team) created it or you have the rights to use it.
  • Judging will be based only on visuals (and use of sound effects, if applicable) but not on background music.
  • No post production video effects other than simple fades from one animation to another.  Please avoid any effects that might be mistaken for part of the animation created in Spriter.

You will be able to submit your entries as replies to a stickied submission thread in our forums starting August 17th.
All entries must be submitted in their completed form by Midnight, August 31st EST.

in the submission thread for how to convert animated gifs exported from Spriter into YouTube videos.  If your animation is too large to export to gifs, you may also submit a screen-recorded video of the animation playing in Spriter.  Please submit as close to the initiial submission date as possible, and if you're having trouble getting your animation on YouTube, contact us at support@brashmonkey.com.

We will also provide required text for you to copy and paste in the video description, which will briefly explain the contest and link to a playlist to allow potential voters to easily discover other submissions.

Winning entries will need to be verified by sending in your Spriter project files.

You retain all ownership and control of your art and animations, but by entering the contest, you give BrashMonkey permission to display your animations for promoting this and future contests, and for contest related purposes such as announcing the winners, etc.

No purchase is necessary. Anyone can create an entry using Spriter Pro or the free Spriter Essentials.

If you have any further questions or comments about this contest, please post them in this thread.

Best of luck to all you great artists, and let the awesome animating begin!

In celebration of the contest, Spriter Pro is on sale in our online store at 50 percent off the retail price by using coupon code: BOSS during your purchase! This sale has been extended to July 26th.

• lucid pinned and featured this topic
2 hours ago, EternaL said:

The rule about linking to all other contest entries may help alleviate that, although not completely. But voting has to happen somehow!

There's Google Forms.

Maybe make something like this?

http://goo.gl/forms/bMAs1JWrAWSSsY8h2

People wouldn't see the results until the deadline this way. Also it'll make sure that every entry will have the same level of exposure.

8 hours ago, SuRge991 said:

There's Google Forms.

Maybe make something like this?

http://goo.gl/forms/bMAs1JWrAWSSsY8h2

People wouldn't see the results until the deadline this way. Also it'll make sure that every entry will have the same level of exposure.

That does seem like an awesome way! That way contestants could only link people to the one unbiased page. Maybe Spriter can consider doing something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm super interested in entering this, and might even do so irregardless of my apprehensions, but I've always had issues with voting handled by popularity for something of this nature. If you enter too late, you run the risk of not being seen by the people that voted early. If you're not a known name, you won't get the vote that was sent in for somebody with some online celebrity. If you're not a martian, aliens discriminate against you. If you're brash, monkeys have lucid dreams.

Either way, I'm intensely happy to see the progress made with the software and that you guys are throwing around some capital to promote it!

Hi everyone,

We value everyone's feedback and we want everyone to have fun with the contest and to feel it's fair. Our plan is to have other contests in the future where we will likely try other methods of judging based on everyone's suggestions. For this contest however, it would be inappropriate and potentially illegal for us change the rules (or form of judging) sense the contest has already begun.

There are many reasons we went with this simple YouTube approach for our first contest.

1) It eliminates the need for individual official judges and potential perceived “conflict of interest”. We have in the past and still do work with and sometimes commission many members of the Spriter community to do official work for BrashMonkey, and it would have been terrible for them and for the quantity and quality of entry animations if none of those artists could participate.

2) Popularity is not only a good thing for Spriter, its a great thing for artists. Really popular YouTube or social media people who enter the contest will bring with them all their followers. Each entry will directly link to a playlist with all entries and will have carefully worded text in the description asking that they click like on the art of their choice only after having seen all of the entries, and mentioning that they can vote for multiple entries if they so choose. This should mean each artists creations will be seen by a lot more people than would otherwise be the case, and even if fans of a specific person click like on that person's entry, they might very well also click on yours. This means increased visibility for all of the artists and publicity for your art and whatever game or art project you're working on.

3) We intentionally chose a subject matter for the contest which is fun and very flexible.. which would overlap as much as possible with projects artists would already be working on... so that work you were already creating or would have to create anyway for your personal projects could be entered into the contest. This allows all potential entrants to decide how much effort to put into the contest.. the potential of winning is very real, but in general, one should only enter contests if the other, tertiary benefits alone would make it worthwhile (publicity, practice, excitement, or, in this case, free advertising of a sort for your project if you use one of its characters as your entry). This way, winning is a potential bonus and you don't feel like you've wasted time and effort if you don't take home the grand prize.

We hope our decision at least makes sense and that despite the potential for your favorite artist or yourself to not win, we hope you'll agree its still worth it to enter and find out - as well as to reap the other benefits, if you perceive them to be there. Also, the more successful this contest is (amount of exposure the contest receives, amount of participation, etc), the more often we can have contests in the future, which can explore new themes, new prizes, and new methods for judging the entrants.

One last note about the benefits of increased visibility. Don't forget, we have a community marketplace. If you are not creating the Boss Animations for your own project, you could put it in the marketplace and potentially sell your creation to other game creators for them to use in their games. The contest would be a great way to introduce your for-sale animation to a larger part of the game making community.

Cheers

-Mike at BrashMonkey

Just now, anty21ro said:

Hi. I am not sure what should we create in Spriter. A animation with a boss in idle or/and attack mode, with or without background. A short fighting scene between a boss and a character. If we would have more details about this ...

Any of those things.. so long as the theme is a boss... you could also create a sequence of animations, like first the idle, then an attack, then another, then death, etc etc.

So long as it generally matches the boss theme, you decide.. So long as its all made in Spriter and then just made into a Youtube video. (no post-processing like after-effects etc.)
Adding the player character as though playing a game would likely be very difficult and time consuming in Spriter, so I'd assume most people are joust going to stick with the boss and maybe the background environment for  the boss.

does that make sense?

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

I'm reading the book scott rogers ( Level UP) to work on my Boss concept, instead of going out trying to accomplish without planning , I do not consider myself an artist , but I think looking for good references and mixing some things that make sense for the boss I think I can have a chance anyway learning... there is no price to pay!

Good Luck!

PS: I have spriter pro! =)

Huge fan of Spriter... Absolutely abhor popularity voting where grandma who doesn't know anything about games up votes little johnny just because he asked or Mr. I decided to create 20 fake emails with 20 fake accounts to up vote my video.  Worst of all are the people who have running youtube channels with followers and even though it is a stick figure that punches he gets 100 up votes because he has loyal fans.  And for this cause I am considering not participating.