Spriter Awesome Boss Contest! Submission Instructions

lucid

EDIT: You no longer need to have anything specific in the YouTube description.  If you entered before the rule change, please edit your description to remove the previously required text. (recommended and appreciated, but not required - we just don't want to confuse the viewing public)

Click here to view and vote on contest entries. 

EDIT: Please note, submission videos should include only visuals created by you and/or your direct team members and only visual effects/animations created in Spriter. Screen recording of you clicking or navigating the Spriter interface or your OS to show the finished animation(s) is also allowed. Please do not show recorded game or engine footage or post-processed video effects not made in Spriter. The only allowed exceptions to this are the simple fades that YouTube adds automatically if you submit your animations as a slide-show.

To submit your video on YouTube, you first need to get it into a video format suitable for upload.  We will describe a method to directly upload a gif exported from Spriter, but feel free to also use your favorite screencapture software.  There is also a free version of Bandicam that is simple to use.  

With any screencapture software, just press play in Spriter and click each of your animations (one or more) and allow it to play for a few seconds.   If, like Bandicam, your capture software allows you to select a portion of the screen to capture, you may wish to only select the canvas area, or a box around your character.   This is allowed, but not required.   

If you do not want to use video capture software, you may use YouTube's slideshow feature to display gifs exported directly from Spriter if your animations are 10 seconds long or shorter.  I will post instructions on how to do this at the end of the post. 

YouTube Submission Instructions:
Here is how you should submit your entry (regardless of whether you capture it or create a slideshow on YouTube):

1. There are no requirements for the title, as long as it doesn't contain any offensive or inappropriate language.
  2. EDIT: You no longer need to have anything specific in the YouTube description.  If you entered before the rule change, please edit your description to remove the previously required text. (recommended and appreciated, but not required - we just don't want to confuse the viewing public)
  3. Make sure the video is set to public.
  4. And when you're all finished, press Publish.
  5. Go to the official contest entry playlist and add your video.  Click the Continue button on the blue banner that says Add to this playlist as <Your Username Here> and then click the Add videos button on the bottom right to add your entry to the playlist. 
  6. Finally, come back to the submission thread, and post a reply to the thread with the name of your submission.  Also paste a link to the YouTube video, which should automatically embed it into your post.
  7. Share your video with everyone you know and tell them about the contest!

gifup5.png

The following information is only needed if you're not planning on using screenrecording software.

Uploading Spriter exported gifs using YouTubes Slideshow feature:
If you want to have YouTube directly convert your gifs into a video using the YouTube's Slideshow feature, understand there will be a 10 second limit, per animation, imposed by the limitations of the Slideshow.

Exporting your gif:

1. Select a background color that looks good for your character, or if you prefer, leave the default gray.
  2. Go to File | Export Animation To PNG/GIF...
  3. Set the fps to a maximum of approximately 30.
  4. Make sure to check 'Fill Background With Current Canvas Background'.  If you do not, the background will default to black upon uploading.
  5. Make sure you have set your output file options to 'animated gif'  
  6. For more information about the remaining export options, refer to the Help menu within Spriter.

gifup0.png

Once you've exported each of your animations to a gif, here's how you upload them to YouTube as a slideshow.
First, make sure you're logged in. 

1. Click the Upload button next to your avatar and notifications icon.
  2. Click the 'Create' button under 'Photo slideshow'

gifup1.png

1. Click on Upload photos
  2. Name the album whatever you wish
  3. Select all of the exported gifs in your folder, and drag them into the drop area.
  4. On the next screen you'll have the option to 'add more photos' or click 'next' to continue.

gifup3.png

1. Check the box next to 'No audio;
  2. Set the 'Slide duration' to '10 seconds'
  3. Set the 'Slide effect' to 'None'
  4. Select a Transition type.
  5. Click on Upload.

gifup4.png

After that, follow the YouTube Submission Instructions above for the remaining steps.

• lucid pinned and featured this topic

Hello everyone,

We're hoping to have your help to resolve an issue that just came to our attention.
Despite it clearly being against the spirit of the contest, more than one contestant is using a third party site to basically buy likes(votes) for their animation.

This is in direct contradiction to the text we had everyone paste in their description, requesting that voters watch the submitted animations from all contestants before voting, and that the the votes be based on actual merit/quality of the work.

As you know, we had expected and accepted some bias from friends and family, but this is a different level of intentional manipulation and abuse of the system and spirit of the contest.

We realize this is the sort of thing some of you were warning could happen, and clearly (and sadly) you were right.

We'd like to change the voting system and move back the voting date, but this is only possible if we get all contestants to agree with the change (via email/electronic signature).

Of course, we want to make sure we don't change voting to another system which can be similarly abused, so please give us a few days to come up with the new system.  We're strongly leaning towards having judges, but the obvious choice of judges (ourselves) would not work, as we are friends/acquaintances or work with or more than one of the contestants.  Feel free to make suggestions in this thread in the meantime.

For now we're keeping the entry closing date the same, but what do you all think about having a second submission window to allow the people who had refrained from entering the contest due to the judging system to make an entry now that judging will be different?

thanks.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

Well, unfortunately I had some personal problems and could not finish (With finish 24/08) my Golem of Tartarus, anyway I will continue creating it to be the way I want , I'm using Krita to do on a digital painting style, have a touch of oil paint.

I would also record the lessons learned in the process:
- I had no notion of complexity to learn digital painting, the fundamentals and be able to apply in software, it is advisable tablet, but nothing that a pencil, rubber and paper do not, then you can take a picture and ink in program, if you It has ease and better sense to draw with pencil, can not be a good stay trying to draw with mouse and frustrating, but nothing prevents you develop skill with mouse or tablet
- The Krita's learning curve is being larger than I imagined, more important than learning the tool is to learn the technique to apply the tool, no use having a wonderful tool like Krita and not knowing how to apply technique of drawing and painting digital, it is necessary that fundamental knowledge
- I noticed that my reading is bad, I am studying speed reading techniques to improve my understanding and reading speed, this will facilitate in any area I want to act.
- It is essential to train and often copy any design you wonder, until you develop your own drawing technique and reach the level that you want in your work.
- No use turning a sleepless night in a project, the body and brain will charge a high price later, the next day you will be crushed, in a bad mood, angry, anxious, unhappy, their cognitive and creative abilities will be affected and you can lose the flow of creativity that was feeling when his mind was functioning rested and without stress.
- No one is born knowing, so the best way to learn is to exercise DISCIPLINE for obtaining the knowledge, in order to achieve results.
- Everything has a price to pay, and be careful not to end his physical and mental health, the mind needs rest to function in a 100% productive.

Despite not being able to participate in the competition for the prize , I already feel victorious because that conquest I delve much into the making process for create my boss, I used my book Level UP (Scott Rogers) to get to personality, foundation and coherence in conception of the idea of my boss , besides having managed to experience a little more intensely creation process (sketch, ink and early digital painting in Krita) , I believe that the knowledge and experience acquired was worth much more than the prize of one thousand US dollars!

I hope more conquest of this kind happen more often. The controversy of the rules is something that can really happen , everything has positive and negative side , I think our biggest thermometer to know if we are on track or not , would be assessment of future or potential players (general public). Another issue that is very sensitive is that any kind of accusation against a person (never public exposed), there must be evidence and evidence of irregularities, which culminate in the disqualification, however the accuser who is participating and accuse someone without any evidence should be punished with disqualification from the competition (in case accusation public exposed, my suggest anywhere accusation).  This would be one of my suggestions for the next rules!

PS: My suggestion that every accusation be held via private message to organizers. This kind of public action may cause damage image.

Thanks, Mike and BrashTeam! :-)

Deiverson

EDIT: You no longer need to have anything specific in the YouTube description.  If you entered before the rule change, please edit your description to remove the previously required text. (recommended and appreciated, but not required - we just don't want to confuse the viewing public)

• lucid unpinned this topic