Please post feature suggestions here.

Mike at BrashMonkey

If this hasn't been suggested yet, have a way in Spriter and/or C2 to load only the images in a scml object that are actually in use at the time, even if that means load/lag pauses if you set the option to true. This is so that a huge amount of images or huge sprite sheet due to many char maps for an extreme character creation system doesn't have to load for too long or possibly even not even work at all on smaller devices like smartphones. That way it doesn't have to load an unused 95% of images in the scml just to show the 5% that are in play at the time. If there's a way to handle this already, though, please let me know. Such as if there's some other way to let a scml have access to tons of images without loading them all every time, but rather to tell C2 to only load the images in use at the time. I am using the new 'draw self' method, but I don't think it involves this kind of option yet. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/7/2016 at 1:28 PM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

Mesh deforming will be a default feature in Spriter 2, which will be a free upgrade for all Spriter Pro owners. (Spriter 2 is in the earliest stages of development, so don;r hold off current projects for it. )

You can use image sapping to swap out images with warped versions.. in combination with careful separation and jointing of images, along sith standard stretching and rotation go get a lot of liveliness in your animations. 

Community member bwwd has also made excellent use of the non-official proof of concept feature called "skin mode" to add mesh deforming to his animations. Which is fine if you just want to bake out your animations to sprite sheets or sequential images, or if you are willing to export the deformed skin images as sequential images, then replace the skin sprites in your final animations with the image swapped versions (IF you need to actually support the Spriter version of your animations directly in your game project)

cheers,
-Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi there!

when Spriter 2?

I need  mesh deforming also!

thanks...

If you need mesh deform beyond the current incomplete skin mode in Spriter one, then definitely don't postpone projects until Spriter 2's release... its a long way off.. still in very early stages of development.

As soon as there's something to share we will, but we will not offer any delivery estimates at all. Such things always backfire on developers.

cheers,
Mike at BrashMonkey

• 2 weeks later...

You cant double  click a sprite (image) to make the skin mode features appear, you must drag the image on as a skin mode image to begin with for the double-click to bring up the options.

Look at the bottom of the palette that shows you the image files you have available and you will see a setting "drag new object as:".. set this to skin.. THEN drag in your image and double click it.

6 hours ago, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

You cant double  click a sprite (image) to make the skin mode features appear, you must drag the image on as a skin mode image to begin with for the double-click to bring up the options.

Look at the bottom of the palette that shows you the image files you have available and you will see a setting "drag new object as:".. set this to skin.. THEN drag in your image and double click it.

nice, thank you mike, i almost brake my mouse, lol, (joke) thanks man! best support ever!

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Sorry i miss and post this "feature request" also in main thread and canot kill this entry, i am not spamming)

I am big fun of Defold Engine, but engine support Spine animation tools by default. After new release DragonBones 4.9.5 appear opportunite export animation to spine3.3 format. This solve problem for Dragonbones, but not for Spriter Pro. Please make same exporter to spine3.3 format for Spriter Pro. This is HUGE power up for this good product.

Also "mesh deform" urgently need at current animation tools iteration. Wait for Spriter Pro 2.0

Thx for good product!

PS yes, i has pro lic.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont know if its been suggested, but I would like to have a new subtimeline for easing curves containing only the affected objects. Now there is a main timeline, and subtimelines for images and bones. Putting an exclusive new one for curves should make things more clear, and this would avoid bad practices like putting curves on the maintimeline instead of objects, as the last video explains.

Cheers.

11 minutes ago, ruberboy said:

I dont know if its been suggested, but I would like to have a new subtimeline for easing curves containing only the affected objects. Now there is a main timeline, and subtimelines for images and bones. Putting an exclusive new one for curves should make things more clear, and this would avoid bad practices like putting curves on the maintimeline instead of objects, as the last video explains.

Cheers.

Something like this is planned for Spriter 2, but almost certainly won't make it into Spriter Pro, as the entire data structure and core code of Spriter woulsd have to be changed, which would not only further postpone Spriter 2, but it would also break compatibility with all existing Spriter API's.

Ok what about this one? blender has a feature called "clean keyframes" what it does is clean the dopesheet (timeline) from empty or redundant keyframes, very good for cleaning up an animation. Sometimes in spriter I find myself with redundant keyframes a lot. I dont know if doable or not, but I see sometimes There are no differences when I manually "clean up" frames on an animation so I suppose it could be done.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

A great feature that might even be easy to add would be to include a Construct 2 action to change the associated scml/scon file of a Spriter/SCML Object during the game, as well as the associated image of a self-draw Spriter/SCML object during the game. That way hundreds of events don't need to be duplicated just to replace the Spriter object with another one, for multiple characters that all do the same complex things, because the character would simply be changed by changing the associated scon file and image during the game.

• 2 weeks later...

1) A 'Play All' button located in the Animations window to play each animation down the list once, for testing/viewing purposes without manually pressing the down key.

2) And a 'Delete From All Animations' option for when you want to delete certain objects from every animation instead of only from all current frames in one animation.

3) In Character Maps, where it says 'Set Hidden', and 'Set Ignored', add a third option, 'Set Original', which simply means that that object's Replacement File becomes the same as the Original File, without having to manually find it in the list at the right again. This is different from 'Set Ignored', as it actively ensures that the original file once again becomes the visible one, useful for when a bare character becomes clothed again.

4) A bigger issue is that in Construct2, appending character maps will often not work unless you first include a wait, such as: "System > Wait 0.01 seconds", and then append character maps, in which case then it does work. If this can stump a seasoned C2 user, it will certainly stump new users, so any chance that the Wait action could be made unnecessary would be great.

5) Small issue: The 'Pack Images' window for spritesheets has always had too much height, so that the 'OK' and 'Cancel' buttons are hidden underneath the Windows taskbar and you have to manually shrink the Pack Images window to click the buttons and make spritesheets.

6) Add an "Edit > Copy Z-Order" and "Edit > Paste Z-Order". Then it simply tries its best to do so, including between different animations.

7) Add a setting by 'create bone' to determine the relative width of created bones, such as 3.0 for 3x the usual thickness of bones. This is useful when working with full-res images to avoid eye strain from trying to rotate needles. The workaround is to create the bones, then, before attaching the images to the bones, remember to first select all bones, change Y to 3.0 all at once, fix where they are, then finally attach the images to bones.

8) Allow the selecting of multiple images and then Ctrl+arrow key, to move them thru the Z order all together, where it keeps them in their relative order. And/or that you can click and drag them up or down together. Not just one at a time.

9) When saving as a Resized Project, the resample method Spriter uses appears to result in a somewhat ugly 'fuzzy' appearance to the resized sprites. To use Photoshop as an example, I personally use and recommend the resample type: "Bilinear". This seems to result in a crisper resize. The workaround is to manually run a Photoshop batch process to resize the original files yourself, and overwrite them in the resized directory.

Edited by EternaL

• 1 month later...

Been working with Spriter for a few weeks pretty consistently now and I've come up with a few "would be nice" features:

• Assigning certain sprites to bone lengths for automated swapping at certain points during tweens if a bone should squash or stretch enough (foreshortening for example) or rotate to certain angle ranges (feet, hair, etc.)
  • Anchored points should not move at all, even during tweens.  Currently they do.
  • Anchoring should be keyable as well to ensure points remain frozen until certain stages
  • Being able to set an IK chain length so end points (like hands and feet) can be grabbed and moved to move the limb they're attached to, but themselves not be moved by anything else
  • Allow rotations of bones connected to anchored points (such as rotating a thigh to switch the side that a knee is pointing toward while the ankle is locked) while still keeping the anchored point locked.  Maybe a "flex amount" that a bone could be allowed to resize to maintain distance while rotating the parent?

An amazingly useful feature/change would be to simply include a "Save As..." (or "Save As New Character Map...") option inside the actual "Edit Character Map" window. No more tedious work repeating the same steps just to select the next image in a folder and hit "ok". Just select the next image, "Save As" a new character map, select the next image, "Save As" the next character map, repeat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be great if we could get a scale option IN the export options itself. It's really tricky using 'Scaled palette', because my target scale sprites/animations are VERY SMALL, and it's a pain having to animate a pixelated image.

A better workflow would be animating on a higher resolution image, and then resizing it on export ONLY - so that I can still animate high resolution assets but still get my low resolution targets

10 minutes ago, secretmapper said:

It would be great if we could get a scale option IN the export options itself. It's really tricky using 'Scaled palette', because my target scale sprites/animations are VERY SMALL, and it's a pain having to animate a pixelated image.

A better workflow would be animating on a higher resolution image, and then resizing it on export ONLY - so that I can still animate high resolution assets but still get my low resolution targets

You can scale on export (if you're referring to exporting finished animations as sequential images or PNG). If you need a scaled version of the entire scml project, kept as a Spriter file and separate body part images, then use File/Other file actions/save as resized/palette swapped project (including images) to create a scaled clone of your entire project.

You can scale on export (if you're referring to exporting finished animations as sequential images or PNG). 

Yup, I can scale sequential images, but is there any option to scale by spritesheet/skeletal animation? Can I scale the PNG generated by the atlas safely and expect the scon/scml file to work directly?

If you need a scaled version of the entire scml project, kept as a Spriter file and separate body part images, then use File/Other file actions/save as resized/palette swapped project (including images) to create a scaled clone of your entire project.

Yes, this is what I've done now, but it is very hard for me to use it since I'm targetting very low resolution assets - so animating them is a chore as I am essentially animating low resolution art (and I'd highly prefer animating the high res art THEN export to low res assets).

Thank you!

• lucid unpinned this topic