Spriter r2 bug thread

lucid

Good to see a new release but disappointingly I still have terrible frame skipping during animation playback making  R2 unusable for me.  B8_2 runs smoothly but none have since then.

Pro User - 

Processor 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 12 GB 1333 MHz 
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024
Software OS X Yosemite 10.10 

Hi Lucid,

I just updated spriter and the plugin for C2. Now when I export using XDK I can't see the spriter object. I reimported the spriter object into C2. Besides that nothing has changed in the project. When previewing over WiFi with Chrome the Spriter object shows. But it does not show in XDK or the final APK. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance:)

Hi Lucid,

Fisrt of all let me say thank you so much for this amazing tool, Im new with spriter pro and i'm on my first steps to discover it

everything is going fine & smooth except one annoying issue, take a look at the picturs please :

This is my character on the form that I want perfectly :)

Captur1e.PNG

But when i hit the play button the animation play just fine ... 'till in some point in the timeline this happen ???!!

Captur2e.PNG

So what i'm doing wrong here ? is this my fault or it's a bug in the tool ??

@samdz

if it is a looping animation, try copying the first frame to the last frame. Not sure if this will solve it but worth trying. good luck

Thanks man it works after i change some frames ... but I'm still don't understand why this happen ... please can someone explain to me ??

P.S: This happen only when I add Bones to the char

Hi samdz, 

It sounds like you might be unaware that every key-frame in sprite can have a totally different bone set-up, sprites and hierarchy... adding and removing bones at any single point in the timeline will only effect the timeline from that point where you made the change until the next key-frame.  Not knowing this can of course cause unexpected results when adding or deleting bones, and changing parent/child relationships, expecting the changes to be animation wide, when the changes will in fact not be animation-wide.

Of course limbs being assigned momentarily to different or suddenly missing parent bones across the time line will cause them to move in strange ways, first obeying and tweening to one bone, and then suddenly a different one etc.

It's definitely a good idea to have your character properly boned in the first place before animating to avoid hierarchy confusion once there are many key frames, movements etc... its fine to add bones for new sprites, or change hierarchies mid animation, so long as you understand those changes are only in effect until the next key frame is reached...so if you want those new bones and the new hierarchy structure to continue for the remainder of the animation you must copy and paste the new bones to each successive key-frame.

Does this shed any lite on the issue?

Thanks,
Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi Lucid,

Fisrt of all let me say thank you so much for this amazing tool, Im new with spriter pro and i'm on my first steps to discover it
everything is going fine & smooth except one annoying issue, take a look at the picturs please :

This is my character on the form that I want perfectly :)

Captur1e.PNG

But when i hit the play button the animation play just fine ... 'till in some point in the timeline this happen ???!!

Captur2e.PNG

So what i'm doing wrong here ? is this my fault or it's a bug in the tool ??

Hi kimo,

You can not make a bone the child of a sprite, only other bones in Spriter. Is this what you were trying to do or did you misspeak ("misstype"). To make a sprite the child of a bone, just left click the sprite in the canvas, then hold the B key and left click on the Sprite you want assigned to it.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Mike at BrashMonkey

Cant link bones to sprites.

Spriter r2, win8, 64-bit.

I can nicely link bones to bones but I can't link to sprites.

Lock sprite and lock bones are both off.

Has the way to do it changed or is this a real bug I'm running to?

Hi kimo,

You can not make a bone the child of a sprite, only other bones in Spriter. Is this what you were trying to do or did you misspeak ("misstype"). To make a sprite the child of a bone, just left click the sprite in the canvas, then hold the B key and left click on the Sprite you want assigned to it.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Not really but I understand your mistyping.

I select a bone, hold B, press a sprite and nothing happen.

In older versions, doing so would make the sprite darker and linked to the selected bone.

EDIT: ok I have identified the issue further.

This problem occurs when I use my trackpad, it works fine when I use my touchscreen. For some reason Spriter ignores the click from my trackpad...

Also tried with an external usb mouse, it also works fine...

So at least the trackpad of Acer Aspire S7 is not working for whatever reason

Cheers,

Kimo

Thanks for trouble-shooting this issue kimo,

I'm not sure if Edgar can do anything directly about support for specific but he'll look into it when he can.

cheers,
Mike at BrashMonkey

Not really but I understand your mistyping.

I select a bone, hold B, press a sprite and nothing happen.

In older versions, doing so would make the sprite darker and linked to the selected bone.

EDIT: ok I have identified the issue further.

This problem occurs when I use my trackpad, it works fine when I use my touchscreen. For some reason Spriter ignores the click from my trackpad...

Also tried with an external usb mouse, it also works fine...

So at least the trackpad of Acer Aspire S7 is not working for whatever reason

Cheers,

Kimo

Thanks for trouble-shooting this issue kimo,

I'm not sure if Edgar can do anything directly about support for specific but he'll look into it when he can.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Its funny but there must be something that can be done, as the B-Click works for the bones, there must be a click handler that is slightly different. Probably th trackpad send some different message that Edgar has implemented almost everywhere else and he will know what's the problem right away ;) Thanks!

- When drag/dropping animation with deformations/skins into existing one and rendering out it doesnt show anything rendered like if deforms were invisible if used as subentities

- When im opening my spriter files now then i cant see and browse my project's pictures folder, it should be there by default on right side but as you can see i can only see my harddrives letters and when im rying to browse them then spine crashes ( i think its too much for him to show all the thumbnails from entire hdd disk so would be nice to have regular "list" view without any images as well then maybe it wouldnt crash).Maybe its because currently im exportting video file right now , im not sure because thats only thing i did and it was fine before i started exporting video on other software.Im on windows 7.Anyway, in situations like this it would be helpful to have some button which goes to project's folder if you click it so you dont have to browse again through hdd.Its now normal again after i finished rendering so that had to have something to do with this problem.

PdeJlmR.jpg

- When you want to use bones to deform skins then it totally fails.

Like on this video when you want to do that thing from 12:45 then you simply cant becaues it doesnt add new segment, it moves entire picture when you click on arrow and want to create new segment from this second bone

Thats why i dont use bones when working with skins, its very irritating to setup this like that, should be at least  mouse button + some key so it wouldnt move sprite around when you miss the arrow.

Would be better if this kind of thing got some keyboard shortcuyts to simply subdivide everything or just totally scrap this kind of hovering over arrow thing which is very very irritating, doesnt work 98% of the time and works only if picture is horizontal like this snakeskin on video.

Why dont just let people assign bones to any control points we want whenever we want not just at the beginning  , would be much easier.Spine is switching betwen edit mode and animation mode.

- I tested Spine today again and i honestly prefere to use spriter because of some small details like holding shift to move nearest vertices and ability to switch images so easily , these kind of things are PITA in spine and really slowdown entire workflow, i prefere to work with deformations in spriter because i feel its implemented better, smart shortcuts like holding shift are great help and if we could atach bones to mesh at any time in spriter then it would be really great, could be similar like with regular sprites, just hold B and pick skin and parent i to bone. Reset button to reset deformation of skin would also be great help in some situations, its hard to copy keyframe of one skin and apply it to different keyframe, you have to copy entire pose.

Its hard to control deform using 2 bones, i dont think its possible to deform single skin with 3 bones.

• 2 weeks later...

When I am viewing my animation and I hit the pause button  Spriter stalls for a while sometime displaying 'Not Responding'. So I can't stop the animation and majority of the time I have to crash the software myself. I don't know what is causing this because I never had this issue with it before this release.

Hi Guys,

Still have problem moving a group of keys along the timeline,

now it`s better than the first release when many keys appear from nowhere.

If I select keys one by one it`s fine.

If I select more than one keys with the selection marque and move them along the timeline in the precise moment I release the mouse button the external keys that define the group selected disappear or re-appear across the timeline in a random position, usually is the right key that have the weird behaviour. 

hope you`ll find a solution

Window 7

Processor I5

8GB

Nvidia 670

Have a great Holiday anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Running on windows 8 for the first time, same laptop as usual intel 965g, dual core, 3gb ram, etc.
had Spriter crash for the first time ever.
I got this:"Unhandled exception at 0x043ED0EF (ig4dev32.dll) in Spriter.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000."
Courtesy of VS2013 debugging.

And yes vc2010 is installed.

• 2 weeks later...