Spriter Plug-in for construct 3

Make sure you have the latest version of the Construct 3 plug-in from here: https://www.construct.net/en/make-games/addons/192/spriter

Here is a video for installing the plug-in of you don't know how. 

You can then watch the video below to see how to export your project from Spriter and then import it into Construct 3.

You can repeat this process whenever you need to update your Spriter project in your game. Meaning, if you change or add animations, images, sounds etc. in your Spriter project, just repeat the import process while keeping the name of the Spriter files the same and it will update in C3.

Now that you know how to import your project to C3, you can watch these videos to learn how to control it with events.

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2019 at 1:56 AM, Falcon said:

Hey there,

I was wondering with the construct 3 plugin if it was possible to use the skinning option within spriter? Also if there was a option to actually see the final spriter object in the layout like in construct 2?

All the best,

H.

No, Spriter's skin mode was experimental/proof of concept and is not supported on any run-time. Spriter 2 will feature advanced mesh deforming and a Construct 3 plugin is planned.
Unfortunately there's no way to actually see the full object in construct 3 once imported. You could export a single frame of the default animation of your Spriter character as a PNG and then create a construct sprite with that image to use as a placeholder in any layout that will need that Spriter object, then at start of layout, have that place holder sprite spawn the Spriter object and then destroy itself.

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, dayle85 said:

Hey, your website says, the c3 Plugin has not yet been ported to the c3 runtime. Now Scirra announced that the c2 runtime will be suspended this year. I know you guys are working hard on Spriter 2 but will the c3 plugin still work after the c2 runtime is suspended?

Sorry about the confusion.  We forgot to update that.  It has worked with the c3 runtime for quite some time now.

Here's a link.

• 1 month later...

For some reason I can't import a spriter zip into an existing C3 project. Whatever I try it only imports an empty spriter object. However, when starting a new C3 project and dragging in the same spriter zip it imports correctly.

Any idea why it is not working in an existing project? This is driving me insane.

Update: Found the issue. The layout you are importing to needs to have an eventsheet connected to it or it will not work. So my issue was that I created a new "Spriter" layout only and no event sheet.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for late response, I can only post once a day. This is what the documentation leads to on my screen:image.png.bcb0431d95fb18a1a6a34bcc93c4223c.png

Also your post looks like this to me:

image.png.ce543733be70ae9dac193b89d0d6da2a.png

EDIT: I've just noticed that the same issue popped up in the Construct 2 topic. Is there a similar DropBox link for the Construct 3 documentation? Is the C2 documentation close enough that I can just use that instead?

9 hours ago, Makoren said:

Sorry for late response, I can only post once a day. This is what the documentation leads to on my screen:
EDIT: I've just noticed that the same issue popped up in the Construct 2 topic. Is there a similar DropBox link for the Construct 3 documentation? Is the C2 documentation close enough that I can just use that instead?

I've expanded daily post allowance to 4.

I don't see any dropbox link in the thread that you can't reach. Have you tried a different browser? I can see no reason in our system why it would be restricting your access, and no-one else has reported this issue.

Importing into Construct 3 is very different:

Does this link work for you? https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=brashmonkey+Spriter+construct+3

20 minutes ago, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

I don't see any dropbox link in the thread that you can't reach.

Sorry, I was referring to this post at the very end of the thread, you provided a DropBox link to download what I assume is the documentation page he couldn't reach:

Have you tried a different browser?

I have tried Chromium Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Chrome in incognito, and also Safari on my iPad. None of them make a difference. Clearing browsing data on Chrome also doesn't work. Could it be the fact that I'm a new user?

Yes, regardless of browser.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I recently made a bug report about an alpha issue with the Spriter .c3addon (c3runtime). We currently cannot show transparent animations with Spriter in Construct 3.
I have made a very minimal project that shows the issue, here.

Alternative link to the bug report:
(https://www.construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/general-discussion-7/spriter-c3-addon-10-12-2019-130240/page-22)

It's a very simple project, a simple white rectangular image with a fading animation, to show the issue. Hopefully it will make it easier to debug.

Thank you.

Best regards!

16 hours ago, ChadoriXD said:

Hi,

Is there any news to this?
Is there a way we could get priority support for this?

Thank you.

Sorry about the delayed reply. Edgar has it on the top of his to do list and will work on the issue as soon as he can. We'll report back here when there's a new build to try which will hopefully resolve the issue for you. Thanks for your patience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello everyone. Recently I ran into a bit of a problem while working with the plugin and I can't really figure out a solution atm. In short, an entity on the map doesn't render in and out of line of sight properly, the model appears and disappears too early and abruptly which looks pretty jarring. Any idea what can be done about this?

On 3/15/2022 at 3:38 PM, Difyl said:

Hello everyone. Recently I ran into a bit of a problem while working with the plugin and I can't really figure out a solution atm. In short, an entity on the map doesn't render in and out of line of sight properly, the model appears and disappears too early and abruptly which looks pretty jarring. Any idea what can be done about this?

Yup, the issue is you need to set the trimming box for the animations in Spriter to be big enough to fit the character.
The Spriter plugin uses this box you set in Spriter as the sort of bounding box for when it decides if it needs to render or not (if it's "on screen")

So just do what you see in this video below and then re-export from Spriter and re-import into C3:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 5:52 AM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

Yup, the issue is you need to set the trimming box for the animations in Spriter to be big enough to fit the character.
The Spriter plugin uses this box you set in Spriter as the sort of bounding box for when it decides if it needs to render or not (if it's "on screen")

So just do what you see in this video below and then re-export from Spriter and re-import into C3:

Thanks very much! That solved the issue. Completely forgot about this feature haha....
Slightly unrelated, but we recently ran into another issue, this time with character's collision boxes. They just don't seem to work, like they don't even exist to the engine. It reacts only to the C3 box but not the one put on the model in Spriter. What did we do wrong here? Maybe the box wasn't set up correctly in Spriter, or there's something that needs to be tinkered with in the engine? I can't find any good documentation on how the collision rectangles work aside from the user manual entry, so more info on them would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
17673d69c6df33294.png2c2669b838900889e.png

When you import the Spriter project it should create a normal construct sprite for each of the collision boxes you had added in Spriter. You need to check VS collision or overlap with those specific sprites in construct. It sounds like maybe you're testing for collision with the Spriter object instead, which is incorrect. This is because you can have unlimited number of different collision boxes in any given frame of any animation of the Spriter made character.

Does this help?

On 3/27/2022 at 2:57 PM, Difyl said:

Thanks very much! That solved the issue. Completely forgot about this feature haha....
Slightly unrelated, but we recently ran into another issue, this time with character's collision boxes. They just don't seem to work, like they don't even exist to the engine. It reacts only to the C3 box but not the one put on the model in Spriter. What did we do wrong here? Maybe the box wasn't set up correctly in Spriter, or there's something that needs to be tinkered with in the engine? I can't find any good documentation on how the collision rectangles work aside from the user manual entry, so more info on them would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
17673d69c6df33294.png2c2669b838900889e.png

On 3/29/2022 at 9:02 PM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

Does this help?

Yeah, that helped, though it did take me a bit to fully figure out how Spriter collision works and put your advice to use. Thanks! I still have one more question: can collision boxes be assigned to a sprite/bone in Spriter? It's just that we'd like to add a box on each major area of the character and fine tune their size, would be nice to have a way to automate the movement of said boxes in some way instead of needing to animate it by hand in each instance. If it's not possible though then that's totally fine.

4 hours ago, Difyl said:

Yeah, that helped, though it did take me a bit to fully figure out how Spriter collision works and put your advice to use. Thanks! I still have one more question: can collision boxes be assigned to a sprite/bone in Spriter? It's just that we'd like to add a box on each major area of the character and fine tune their size, would be nice to have a way to automate the movement of said boxes in some way instead of needing to animate it by hand in each instance. If it's not possible though then that's totally fine.

Yes, they can be assigned to a bone. You can assign many things to a single bone, but you cant make something the child of a sprite, only a bone. You can make many sprites and many collision boxes the child of the same bone so they all move etc in unison.

Collision boxes even tween in their position and size if the animation is set to tween as opposed to pop directly from one key frame to the next.

On 4/2/2022 at 8:28 PM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

Yes, they can be assigned to a bone. You can assign many things to a single bone, but you cant make something the child of a sprite, only a bone. You can make many sprites and many collision boxes the child of the same bone so they all move etc in unison.

Collision boxes even tween in their position and size if the animation is set to tween as opposed to pop directly from one key frame to the next.

Alright, thanks so much for all the help! No more questions... for now xD