Spriter and Game Maker Studio

icuurd12b42

Hi guys!

I dont know if you remember me but I did the Game Maker Spriter API a long while ago and it worked for a while but after a few spriter updates it stopped working and so I been pestered quite a lot to update the api but I simply had no time on my hand and mainly had not time to keep up to date with all the changes and features.

What I need is a little guidance to figure out where to go get the information I need.

I also need example files and the download I got comes with none.

I need the file specs, the supported features specs, example(s) that use all the features, hopefully those example would be included with the API as a demonstration on how the api works and to show what feature are supported; as well they would make an appearance in the demo exe and the demo video.

I am not an animator so I would need something "free to use" as I cannot do these animations myself.

Also I got the free version, how does it differ from the purchased version, would an API written with the demo as a working/testing tool be enough? would I need to get the purchased version?

Thanks for helping out!

Hi icuurd12b42,

I'm sorry to hear Spriter is crashing for you, especially so often. Edgar is very fast and diligent in regards to fixing any bugs or crashes when they are reported to us, be we need more information. The first step is to be able to reproduce the bug on our side, so we can figure out the cause and so we can then test to see when the bug is fixed.

I use Spriter extensively, for roughly 6 hours a day every day...to create many animations for clients and to create full Animated Art Packs and have not seen a single crash bug in the last 5 or more builds (and any minor bug I or other users have reported has been fixed rather quickly)... so Spriter's stability can really seem very different depending on the specific system set-up and work-flow of a given user. for this reason it's critical to report any issues with as much pertinent information as possible so it can be fixed ASAP.

It's not likely a productive idea to simply wait for next releases of a program to see if the bug you are encountering gets fixed, as you might be the only person running into it, so we don't know it exists and therefore can't fix it, or, multiple people have seen the issue, but no-one reports it or any useful information about it, so we can't reproduce or fix the issue.

Any chance of more info regarding the crash you are running into?

Which build of Spriter are you testing?

What OS are you running Spriter on?

What specific feature are you using when the crash occurs?

Any chance of perhaps a screen recording of the crash occurring?

Thanks so much for you time, and sorry for the inconvenience... but we can't take any meaningful action on bug or crash reports without any actionable information. :(

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi icuurd12b42,

Which build of Spriter are you testing?

Spriter Essential b10

What OS are you running Spriter on?

Windows 7 Ultimate

What specific feature are you using when the crash occurs?

Moving/rotating, a bone with the mouse, intermittent, not sure what pre-existing condition must have been set. All I know it is happened every run about 2-5 minutes of doing work.

Any chance of perhaps a screen recording of the crash occurring?

I just spent 20 minutes to no avail. I have no video editing tool so uploading a 20 minute video of the entire 20 minutes would take a week; it takes 8 hours for 2 minutes. A screenshot of the error provided would not be useful either except acting as proof of a crash.

Perhaps we could skype with a shared screen you could possibly record the session on your end while we go through the process. It could be I am not working in the same sequence as you and so you would never hit the problem.

Trying to reproduce the error this time I hit an animation moving bug you can verify in the project.

at the second key frame the transition skips

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=981C045D ... 168D%21734

Here are my 2 cents

Why is the move most always take precedence over the rotate. I have to make my bones excessively long as I click to rotate it most always does the move. I would Like a lock move so that the rotation is the default action no matter where I click on the bone

And the second suggestion is make better use of the right click. I watch your tutorials and many of the keyboard action on many of the features are not reflected by the right click menu options. No Select All/Copy/Paste on the canvas. Select All, No right click copy on the selected bones/animation.. No right click paste/paste mirror and so on. You can delete a keyframe with Del but the right click menu for the frame does not show this.

Do a run with an unplugged keyboard :) since you have some much more experience than I do you will be able to find all those inaccessible features

I have no video editing tool...

Get VirtualDub. It's FOSS and very powerful, yet easy to use – especially for simple things like trimming a video to a certain length, cropping/rescaling it, and compressing it. If you install it and can't figure it out, send me a private message and I'll walk you through it.

BTW, you hit the nail on the head regarding the way Spriter uses (and doesn't use) the RMB.

• 2 weeks later...

Do either Lucid or Mike have my files of the plant girl and the mantis? I lost them along all my other spriter stuff in a hard drive that passed away by the end of last year.

You could give iccurd those so he can do his testing, assuming they are still compatible with the current spriter build.

I know iccurd from over the gm forums, and have learned a lot from his examples, support him all you can, since currently spriter needs all the help it can get to catch up to the competition.

sorry for the late reply. got busy with a project of ours.

@RunnerPack Thanks, that looks about as easy as audacity for sound editing. great suggestion

@Licid: I'll try the new version. The animated gifs showing the new feature looks awesome, it's actually the way I had made my own unpublished animator and that method is way faster than any pivot like system. I will try to email you this week, that after I give the new version a try

@tombmonkey: if you can contact me on the GMC via PM, having a few proper files would help the endeavour.

• 3 months later...

I am getting into game development and animation. I love the price point and features of Spriter. But the inability to use its featureset with Game Maker: Studio worries me. It looks like Spriter has been very slow moving. I would like to know what kind of timeframe we are looking at before we see many of the updates that will truly make this program useful such as, Game Maker support, deformation, and procedural type animations. Once Spriter has those under its belt it will win the modular animation battle in my book.

Hi Krymzonsky,

Spriter did suffer a number of prolonged delays but has lately been progressing nicely.  The current pause in updates is specifically for Edgar to work on a fully featured generic Spriter implementation, which hes working on now. Once finished it will be released as open source and should make it very fast and easy for any developer to port full Spriter support to any particular authoring system. 

Once Edgar is finished with this generic implementation he'll be working directly with the developers and communities of all popular authoring systems (including Game Maker) to get Spriter fully supported asap.

We cant give a reliable time estimate for when the generic implementation will be finished, so stay tuned for updates once Edgar has specific milestones of progress to report.

cheers,
Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi Krymzonsky,

Spriter did suffer a number of prolonged delays but has lately been progressing nicely.  The current pause in updates is specifically for Edgar to work on a fully featured generic Spriter implementation, which hes working on now. Once finished it will be released as open source and should make it very fast and easy for any developer to port full Spriter support to any particular authoring system. 

Once Edgar is finished with this generic implementation he'll be working directly with the developers and communities of all popular authoring systems (including Game Maker) to get Spriter fully supported asap.

We cant give a reliable time estimate for when the generic implementation will be finished, so stay tuned for updates once Edgar has specific milestones of progress to report.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

I'm glad to hear this. I started working on an implementation for GM:S but I only managed to figure out how to parse the SCML file and store it in data structures for later use. I really didn't know where to go from there. Having a reliable reference to go off of will make this way easier to figure out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Since there is a great Spine implemantation in GM:S, it would be usefull to be able to save Spriter-XML into Spine-JSON, or having a converter. Problem here are the bones. Having a Spriter animation without bones would end up in a to many-bones-conversion or you have to make sure, that there are bones, but what is with the slots? And so on.

• 2 months later...

No updates as of yet.  Once the reference full featured implementation in C++ is ready it should make it much easier for people to port Spriter support to any authoring system including GMS.  We definitely consider GMS support a high priority so we'll give this a lot of attention once Edgar is finished with the reference implementation.  Sorry we don't have any specific date estimate, but we'll make sure it happens as quickly as possible once the reference is ready and will update as soon as we can once its in progress.

Cheers,
Mike at BrashMonkey