Spriter for Unity 4.3 (Updated, Integrated)

bonus2113

Switching to Unity 5 broke Spriter2Unity for me, had to switch to mythgarr's branch and update a few of the scripts because some things were depreciated. There used to be a Spriter Entity script component in the old version I had and this one doesn't seem to have it, not sure if that actually matters though. Well anyways the animations I had already brought in seem to be working fine. I haven't tried importing new animations or updating ones already brought in yet. If it doesn't work I'll have to go back to Unity 4.6  :-|

I made a pull request to bonus2113, to merge the Unity 5 update from Mythgarr's fork into it. However, so far it has not happened yet.

So I went ahead and created my own fork at https://github.com/Dharengo/Spriter2Unity, and merged the Unity 5 update into that.

The readme is not updated, and the package has not been updated either, so you'll have to import the Assets folder into Unity by hand.

I don't intend to work any further on this tool at this point in time, but at the very least I could provide a "most recent fork".

WARNING: The current version is completely untested. I just merged the branches. That said, I would like to hear feedback on how it performs. Although if it's identical to Mythgarr's it should be fine.

Pardon the double post, but I have an update. I decided to experiment a little with Spriter for my own project, so I tried out the aforementioned version.

It appears to work just fine, so I went ahead and cleaned up the tool a little. There should no longer be any meaningless errors or warnings (I hate those).

I also went ahead and updated the package and the Readme.

You can find it here (a link to the Unity 4 version also exists):

https://github.com/Dharengo/Spriter2Unity

I still won't be working on this tool full time, so I hope that someone else will fork this and continue work on it. That being said, in the event that I improve on it a little for my own purposes, I'll be sure to share.

Message to admin: What do you think, what with the Unity 5 compatibility thing, is it worth creating a new topic and sticky that instead of this one?

Out of curiosity, to any of you Spriter2Unity users out there. Do any of you Spriter2Unity users have issues during the first time importing an .scml file (or after making changes to it)? In particular when there are already prefabs present. Usually the prefabs don't behave as they should (they don't animate, or use the wrong textures, etc.), it's fixed after I delete the prefabs (and associated AnimatorControllers), then reimport the .scml file.

I think I had similar problems even in older versions of the converter. Can anyone else confirm that this issue is a real thing or am I just doing something wrong?

Dengar, I'm looking into some changes for Spriter2Unity as well:

I am converting it to place all of the .anim files into a folder, rather than storing them inside the prefab and doing some other changes to improve the workflow. (I already made a cool animation mapper tool to make reimporting Spriter animations to an existing Animation Controller easier.)

Want to work with me? 

drop me an email: xelnath at xelnath daught com

Two Issues I want to address at the momment for spriter 2 Unity 

1) any projects that i have that contains "Boxes" replaces the boxes with an image during run time , so in order to make my animations animate correcty I have to remove the boxes colliders from spriter SCML

2) In the class SpriterTimeLineKey.cs is causing reimport issues for me in the lines 

File GetFile(XmlElement element)        {			// Issue here			var folderId = element.GetInt("folder", -1);			var fileId = element.GetInt("file", -1);       File file = null;            var folder = Timeline.Animation.Entity.Scml.GetFolder(folderId); //rest of the code}

I don't think any of projects built with R3 has -1 for a folder and id right? so i replaced the -1 to 0 to get correct animations , i still have the issue with rendering boxes though

var folderId = element.GetInt("folder", 0);            var fileId = element.GetInt("file", 0);

am i the only one who faced these issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi freeprogrammer,

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.  What do you mean by "animation of skin"? Are you referring to Spriter animations in general, or a specific feature?

Have you read and followed the instructions found in the first post of this thread?

Detailed:

Download this Unity package: https://github.com/b... ... itypackage
Open your Unity project.
Import your whole Spriter project folder into Unity.
With Unity open, go to the folder you saved the Unity package to and double click it.
Unity should pop up with a dialog asking if you want to import the assets, click import on the bottom right.
Unity should now import the Spriter2Unity package and then automatically convert your SCML files to prefabs. The prefabs will be in the same folder as the SCML files.
There's an example included which imports the GrayGuy character and animates him via Mecanim.

I'm currently working on the in-code documentation to make it easier for other people to contribute. You are very welcome to fork the repository and create pull requests!
If you have any questions feel free to ask them here. I'd appreciate it if bug reports would be done via GitHubs issue system (https://github.com/b...er2Unity/issues), but I if you don't want to create a (free) GitHub account, this forum is fine as well.

cheers,
Mike at BrashMonkey

Ah, That's what I thought.  When you said skin, you actually meant "skin mode" which is the "proof of concept" unfinished image deforming feature. That feature is unfinished and will be completely replaced, using a new data structure and new UI.  For this reason, users have been told to not use that feature for any final work..only experimentation and feedback, and no run-time supports this mode for that reason.

The replacement for that mode is still fairly far off in time, but once it's implemented, we hope to help developers get it supported for all major authoring systems as quickly as possible.

cheers,
Mike at BrashMonkey

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm currently using Spriter as part of my uni game project. I've made several spriter animations and imported them with the spriter-unity package. Unfortunately there are some weird transformation issues that happen when one animation transitions into another animation. I want my animations in Unity to "instantly" transition to each other rather than having "tweening transitions".

Here's a youtube video showing this issue (sorry I couldn't annotate the video itself):

How do I fix these tweening issues in Unity?