Tombmonkey's thread (come get a spriter sample file)

tombmonkey

UPDATE (Mike at BrashMonkey): Links all seemed dead, so I hosted the Spriter files here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ww4Gs41EpRJzbNwdXAZK-PHI5HMP2JC7/view?usp=sharing

(updated link)

I think it would be nice to have a topic where people come and post wips and stuff to get feedback and show off.

I will start and hope other chime in with stuff.

http://i.minus.com/ibv8McFxqBk8i.gifhttp://i.minus.com/iRGK2RQtE3gQG.gif

I'm using some heavy image switching to get these results. I wish I could flag keyframes or something so a keyframe where there's only a image switch would look different so I don't have to waste so much time looking for the keys where things actually move.

• 1 month later...

iJO2AbchBnKpY.gif

The timing is wrong, it's much slower than it's supposed to be, it looks better with the right timing I swear.

After giving spine a good look I'm back. This time I'm playing spriter to it's strengths, while I like quite a bit more the animations I posted earlier making them take a very awkward process and are very time consuming. And since I'm trying to make a game by myself I decided to tone down the animation and use a strictly modular style. Also, since I intend to sell these assets when they are finished, I'm trying to keep the image switching to a minimum and the keyframes clean so anybody can edit them and make new characters using the animations, the previous ones where pretty much untouchable after finished.

Here http://www.sendspace.com/file/4gs0tj is the spriter file for anyone curious, it's sad the only spriter example file is one from before bones where even implemented (Mike is probably hunched in a cave holding on to the art packs mumbling "my precious").

There are quite a few animations in there: running, walking, idle, various attacks, etc... I only previewed one because turning them into gifs is boring and time consuming (and the timing is wrong, .gif export Edgar).

Any feedback is welcome. The images need clean up and I'm missing a few animations.

• 2 weeks later...

Another character, another file.

The animations look much better with more frames, here they are running at 12 fps. There are a couple more animations in the file that I didn't place here.

I really like how some animations came out, while others not so much. I need to get better at making movement blurs. The antennae movement was a nice challenge at first but later I got the hang of it.

iboIKN0Wx4OWDW.gifiXUZdvRLIHKpb.gifiBzRwso1KGVey.gif

i76MjT1p6LRP.gifiUvr8WLJyS3KK.gif

imp7bgmWVnMik.gif

Download here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oioh1t

Wow, amazing! Really dig your style. Glad your share your work on this level. Learned a lot from your first set. Thank you again for that.

On what resolution du you work on the charakter parts? As we have not yet finalized the resolution options for our game I am a bit unsure how big i should make it. :/

I work at 4x the size of the pieces in the spriter file, then I plan on reducing the spriter png outputs to 25% (like the ones posted).

The size you use really depends on what you want to do, I personally will just render to png because I'm not a good enough programmer to implement real time playback in gamemaker; if you on the other hand will implement playback on your engine then you should find the optimal resolution your game will have and work from there, work everything at least 2x the size before bringing into spriter.

Wow, these animations are amazing. Especially the first set, trying not to nosebleed over here, haha. I would really like to see how it works, but considering you said the animations are really complicated with a lot of image-switching, well... I suppose they're not quite so practical when you're trying to have them available for anyone else to use, which is a shame, because the animations are amazing.

Keep up the good work, though!

Tombmonkey is there a reason images are all rotated? Is that some artist trick?

You mean why they are are in horizontal position?

That's because Spriter's scaling functions doesn't work well unless they are in that position.

You can see here: http://www.brashmonkey.com/spriter_manu ... tarted.htm how mike's pieces are also rotated in that direction. I'm not sure if this limitation is still around, I will have to test.

• 1 year later...

tombmonkey mentioned on another thread that he lost all his Spriter projects in a harddrive crash, and the sendspace links also seem to be down, so I figured I would put the ones I saved in my Dropbox and post the links here. @tombmonkey: if you have a problem with this, just let me know (or the admins can just delete or edit the post if necessary, of course).

Leaf Girl

"Leafy" enemy

Mantis Girl

• 2 years later...
On 10/5/2014 at 1:33 PM, RunnerPack said:

tombmonkey mentioned on another thread that he lost all his Spriter projects in a harddrive crash, and the sendspace links also seem to be down, so I figured I would put the ones I saved in my Dropbox and post the links here. @tombmonkey: if you have a problem with this, just let me know (or the admins can just delete or edit the post if necessary, of course).

Leaf Girl

"Leafy" enemy

Mantis Girl

May I please have the files? These links are dead

• 3 months later...