Spriter exported animations are squished

sebby300

Hi! I'm very new to this program and I'm just trying out the trial version. However, already I'm running into a problem.

You see I use very small nes/snes style sprites, and when I export an animation to a sprite strip, the images become slightly distorted. I was wondering if there is a fix for this or if anyone knew why this was happening. I've tried exporting at 100% scale, 200%, 400%, and 800%, and I've tried shrinking down the larger scales in photoshop after exporting them, but none of these methods have really helped at all, I still end up with some sprite distortion with the finished product.

Here is what the sprites should look like:

meHoKI4.png

however, as you can see here, the head being a good example, the sprites get squished when I export the animation

4NYlGsO.png

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!

If you look carefully, the head has lost a pixel column near the far right side... I kept looking for vertical squashing and there is none...its horizontally squashed by one pixel.

It's a known bug and I've reported it to Edgar, I'll report back here when it gets fixed.

Cheers,
Mike at BrashMonkey

• 1 month later...

So it's been over a month and still nobody has a solution for this problem? I mean I don't want to be rude, though I'm surprised a program specifically designed for creating animations is helping me so little in doing so :P It just seems like, for such a basic problem, (though of course maybe the actual problem is quite complex, I only mean, it's a problem that I think is really important to fix) there must be some answer, some solution, out there. Since I don't know how the program works I really don't know where to begin on it, unfortunately. Again, any help would be appreciated.

I don't know what causes this, how hard it will be to fix, or whether it's being worked on (although I'm sure it is, time permitting), but I have a suggestion for a workaround you could try: export to a multiple of the final size you want, then use a batch image processor (like IrfanView or ImageMagick) to resize the resulting images to your desired size. It's definitely a bodge, and it could get cumbersome for a production workflow, but if you need results now, it's worth a try, right?

Hi sebby300,

I'm very sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this matter.  Please don't worry about seeming rude. It's a very good thing that you brought this topic back on our radar.. we are only human and can certainly temporarily forget important matters. This is a perfect example.  We didn't forget the bug exists, but I forgot to respond here in this thread and report that I think at least we figured out the cause of the bug and a temporary work-around for it.

Edgar has not had a chance to completely fix the issue yet in Spriter, but I think we did find the cause of the problem.  It seems to have to do with pixel art images of odd width or height (for example 31 pixels wide as opposed to 32 pixels wide) combined with pivot point positions being set to an even number...like the middle of the image.

Basically, if you set the images default pivot points to top-left instead of middle, or change the image size so that the number of pixels wide and high are both even numbers, then it seems to circumvent  this bug.

Please try that and let me know if my findings are correct.

Of course we'll continue to work on actually removing the bug as soon as we can.

Thanks again for reminding me, and thank you for the reminder, it was in no way rude and was in fact very helpful to me and the Spriter community. :)

Cheers,

Mike  at BrashMonkey

Thank you so much! I'm very glad I didn't come across as rude :P I tried adjusting the size of the exported image and it worked! This is really good news for me and my team. I haven't found any other programs which handle pixel art this well.

Now I can get back to testing it for my own uses. Once again, thank you!

-Seb