What's left to do

lucid

(this thread is obsolete, please refer to the latest daily build threads stickied at the top of this forum for the latest info)

Hello again everyone. We're getting fairly close to release. In the interest of not missing another projected release date, I won't put a hard date on it, but for the sake of transparency, I will post my current progress here today. I will post daily updates as replies/edits until this build is delivered.

Here's what's left to do for the upcoming build:

I am currently in the middle of finishing up default pivot points ui additions.

The underlying mechanics for multiple characters per file are there. I need to add a simple widget to manage it, and connect it to file input/output.

Due to the nature of some of the more drastic changes I've made to Spriter's core (which we'll elaborate upon on release day), I had to temporarily disconnect alot of the ui, and I have to reconnect it to some redesigned classes. This is done for about half of the ui, and I have to reconnect the rest of it: on screen buttons, menus, keyboard shortcuts, copy/paste etc. It's all little things, but it's many little things, and most of what's left for this build to be released.

As this is being done Mike will be able to help me continue testing, and then we'll have to take at least a day of hard testing when the last of it is done and release.

Again, thanks for your patience and support.

Bone Widget complete except for a few small display tweaks.

Started on reconnecting timeline widget. The timeline/keyframe system and ui is already done. Have to reconnect things like play/pause button, copy/paste etc.

The timeline widget and canvas will be the biggest of these 'reconnection' items. Aside from those, there is just the persistent object widget, and all the main window items like toolbar buttons, file/edit menus, etc.

After that, we'll do some testing of everything working together, and on all 3 platforms. Then perform any tweaks or fixes needed.

You ever think about doing twitch.tv streaming of the time you work on Spriter? That way we could be introduced to new features and nice fixes while you fix them. Can use some of that material for potential advertisement on youtube at some point.

Looking forward to an updated build. Integrating paper doll animation system is crucial for my current project, but low on my priority list ATM (need to add packed texture loading first).

hi crazysam. I'm assuming you mean displaying the new features as I complete them, since watching me write code wouldn't be very entertaining, but these final days in particular aren't really developing anything new, just restoring the rest of the user interface and features that were already in previous versions. After this version is released, I'd like to just release more often, rather than compiling several changes and additions in one large update and then releasing.

That being said, finished up timeline widget today, working on canvas. Just a little longer everyone. Thanks again for the patience.

To be completely honest with you... I've been waiting for a way to do paper doll 2D animation without having to write my own tools for a long time. To me it's a matter of what is most convenient and more well supported. Spine's editor is more complete, it looks polished and very usable. But they only support Corona and don't have a publicly available file specification yet.

I have an interest in sticking with Spriter, I already bought a copy of the software, and there are available Actionscript APIs that implement the file specification (I work with Haxe, so I need to do some porting anyways, but this is a significant plus).

The way I see it, Brashmonkey has 16 days to put out a big resounding reason why I should stick with Spriter. Otherwise I'll back the Spine Kickstarter before it ends, and postpone deciding which tool to stick with for my current project until they both mature a little.

Hi crazysam,

We understand completely if you have immediate needs and you feel that another tool out there meets your needs at the moment. We also very much hope the next build is ready for the public before 16 (now 15) days have passed, but can not guarantee it.

From Spriter's conception we have been completely dedicated to its development, working as many hours per day as humanly possible while trying to not fall short on our responsibilities as fathers...so sadly no numerical deadlines, imposed on us by ourselves or external circumstances could possibly make the development go any faster. In fact, it was ironically in large part due to Edgar's commitment to Spriter's speedy development which lead to this current delay. He can't force himself to work even longer hours despite the warning signs from his own body that he's doing perhaps irreparable damage....especially since we need to be dedicated to Spriter for many years to come. It is not in our (or Spriter's ) best interest to kill ourselves racing to a very close and short-sighted goal. Hopefully the next few Dr.'s appointments will restore Edgar's ability to develop Spriter more aggressively.

Despite and in the face of the current issues causing the current delay, Edgar is doing everything he can to get this build released as soon as possible. But please understand, we are dedicated to Spriter for the very long-term. The release of Spriter Pro 1.0 is just the beginning as far as we are concerned. We'll get there as soon as we can, but if your immediate needs are better met by another tool, it only makes sense for you to use it. We're confident once Spriter 1.0 is released you'll see many benefits from using Spriter for future projects.

Best of luck with all of your endeavors, and thank you for your support and honesty.

Cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

took a break from working on canvas today to work on Export to Png, which now features a number of improvements

[*:1jro4fvc]you can now resize the image on export to resize to larger or smaller pngs, instead of just original size.
    [*:1jro4fvc]spriter will calculate the bounding box so the pngs are sized to the smallest bounding box that will fit all frames in the animation
    [*:1jro4fvc]you can now export pngs for characters larger than your screen resolution
    [*:1jro4fvc]you can now export to an image strip instead of individual images

The new export code is complete, but there's still some ui stuff to do for it,

then it's back to canvas

hi eien,

Unfortunately, I can't put a hard date on it, as my (arm problems) are very unpredictable and certain days, I can't get much done at all. I have some upcoming appointments, and maybe so hopefully that will be resolved soon.

What I can do is give a more granular list of what's left. Don't be too intimidated by the length of the list - If I were back in full working condition, I could finish more than one of the main topics a day. Though I'm at a very small fraction of my normal speed now, it will give an idea of which items are more involved.

This will be the update for today as well:

[*:35y2gxjl]Canvas
      [*:35y2gxjl]
      Cut Copy Paste Delete for Objects
        [*:35y2gxjl]in the middle of this now, and got some of it done today. Objects are more complicated/timeconsuming to write than it seems, since Spriter stores the substructure of the bones and the absolute position, and the way bone reparenting has to take other keyframes into account.

[*:35y2gxjl] Cut Copy Paste Delete for KeyFrames

[*:35y2gxjl] less time consuming than the above, but still has extra reparenting related things to take into account than standard copy paste delete code

[*:35y2gxjl]IK for bones
        [*:35y2gxjl]IK on popup for bones
        [*:35y2gxjl]reconnect gui
        [*:35y2gxjl]refactor ik lock code to work with new core
        [*:35y2gxjl]variation for child sprites

[*:35y2gxjl]Sprite popup for image selection

[*:35y2gxjl]reconnect gui
        [*:35y2gxjl]Refactor image replacement code

[*:35y2gxjl]Onion skinning

[*:35y2gxjl]reimplement display code for new core
        [*:35y2gxjl]reimplement display code for new timeline widget

[*:35y2gxjl]Persistent Object Widget

[*:35y2gxjl]reconnect gui functions
      [*:35y2gxjl] image scanning and display
      [*:35y2gxjl] object merging

[*:35y2gxjl]Menu Bar

[*:35y2gxjl]many small items just need to be reenabled

[*:35y2gxjl]Test
      [*:35y2gxjl]test
        [*:35y2gxjl]test

Thanks again for your patience everyone.