How do you update animations in Construct 3 ?

johnsmith

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for making such a great animation tool !

As said in the title, how do you update already imported character animation in Construct 3 ?

At the moment I just update the zip file (with the new scml & scon) and drag & drop it again in Construct. But I end up with a new character (named with a "2" at the end) so I need to replace and delete the old one. Was just wondering if there is a better way of doing it ?

Thank you :)

EDIT: Oh and also, is there any example/tutorial on how to use IK (override bones) in Construct 3 ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

sorry it took so long to respond, we just now recovered from a malicious hack of our server, which required us to migrate to an entirely new and professionally protected server.

I'll try to Speak to Edgar about this and run some tests tomorrow. Sorry I don't have any direct answers right now, but I at least can finally let you know we're looking into it.

I'm back with a preliminary update.
Until Edgar can fix the issue in the import process (it might take help from Ashley at Scirra) I think the best work-around is to rename your current Spriter object, import the updated version, then use Construct's replace object in events feature with all events selected in order to replace all references to the old version of the Spriter object with the new updated version... the, of course you can delete the old version from the project.

For this to work you need to be careful not to add alterable values or behaviors directly to the Spriter object and instead to a normal construct sprite which you might have the Spriter object pinned or or programmatically 'anchored' to.

Also, if your Spriter character has collision boxes you'd need to be careful to replace the references to the old collision boxes with the new ones that the updated version would create a long with it (in all events).

Thank you for the update Mike

That's mostly what am I doing atm (only I let Construct rename the newly imported character, will try to see what happen if I rename just the Spriter object before importing) and I can deal with it, i'm just afraid to do some mistakes in the long run ;) 

I'm not using collision at the moment (I'm using a dummy (same for behaviors & variables)) but once the character is fully animated I might give it a try if it's not too demanding for the engine.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, thegodo said:

Hi Mike.

Any update on this? (I mean Updating animations wtih no replacing method)

Sorry, not yet. When Edgar gets a chance he needs to follow up wit5h Ashley at Scirra to work out the real solution. Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll report back here as soon as we're making progress on this.

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, thegodo said:

Hi again, Mike. 

any progress?

Greetings!!!

Hi thegodo. Unfortunately not yet. I know other Construct 3 users have contacted Scirra to appeal to them to update the C3 sdk soon, but we've not heard back from Scirra themselves about it.We'll contact them again soon if we don't hear back in the next few business days. Thanks for your patience, it's frustrating for us to. Not only do we want to provide excellent value and service to C3 users, but I'm also using it with Spriter myself f or several personal projects.

• 8 months later...

This issue seems totally resolved. Make sure you're using the latest version of the Spriter plug-in, and the latest stable version of Construct 3, export your spriter project as scon, zip the images and scon only into a zip file with the exact same name as the scon file (but ending in .zip) and then drag in into the appropriate layout in your Construct project. This should properly update and replace the old one in your Construct project.

If this doesnt work, please screen record your attempt so we can see what's going on.

On 4/24/2021 at 5:18 PM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

This issue seems totally resolved. Make sure you're using the latest version of the Spriter plug-in, and the latest stable version of Construct 3, export your spriter project as scon, zip the images and scon only into a zip file with the exact same name as the scon file (but ending in .zip) and then drag in into the appropriate layout in your Construct project. This should properly update and replace the old one in your Construct project.

If this doesnt work, please screen record your attempt so we can see what's going on.

Construct 3 r241 Stable
Spriter 2-6-2021b Stable

Please have a check 

1 hour ago, arcadesindo said:

Construct 3 r241 Stable
Spriter 2-6-2021b Stable

Please have a check 

I'm bringing this to Edgar's attention. Hopefully he can see the cause of the issue. In the meantime, you're potentially wasting a large amount of memory and performance by making your character at such a high res and then scaling it down in C3. You can create an entire clone of your project from Spriter to the reduced size, and then C3 won't have giant images to use to recreate your animations.

19 hours ago, lucid said:

hi @arcadesindo - I'm not able to reproduce the problem on my end.  I did find that if you have characters (like dashes  -) in your sprite names that c3 can't use in an object it will duplicate those.   If you'd like to send us your zipped Spriter project to mail@brashmonkey.com I can take a look.

Sended, please have a check, thank you!

6 hours ago, arcadesindo said:

Hii, any update? Thanks!

Hello.  Sorry about that delay.  I hadn't received the email, but Mike forwarded it to me.  It was the problem I mentioned in my last reply.  I will get this fixed in the next plugin build so this isn't necessary in the future, but you can fix the issue immediately by renaming your objects that have characters C3 can't use for object names (like spaces).

For instance if you rename JARI DEPAN  to JARI_DEPAN

and JARI BELAKANG  to JARI_BELAKANG

then future reimports work correctly.

7 hours ago, lucid said:

Hello.  Sorry about that delay.  I hadn't received the email, but Mike forwarded it to me.  It was the problem I mentioned in my last reply.  I will get this fixed in the next plugin build so this isn't necessary in the future, but you can fix the issue immediately by renaming your objects that have characters C3 can't use for object names (like spaces).

For instance if you rename JARI DEPAN  to JARI_DEPAN

and JARI BELAKANG  to JARI_BELAKANG

then future reimports work correctly.

Ahhh!! okay got it! Thank you!