Construct 3 SCML Plugin : Need Updates.

ChadoriXD

Hello. Can we get the Construct 3 SCML plugin updated. It has been half a year ever since the beta and a stable version would be very nice. There have been many changes ever since on Construct 3, including the Construct 3 Desktop Build, Stable SDK for the new runtime, Custom Importer SDK and etc...

If it would be possible to as soon as possible have a Construct 3 version that can take advantage of the new features and also support the Spriter Hybrid Mode (High Performance Mode + Standard Mode) on Construct 3. Some of us also use the non-self drawing mode, so please support the said feature.

Thank You.

@lucid @Brashmonkey

Reference to the SDK:
https://www.construct.net/make-games/manuals/addon-sdk

Reference to the Construct Forums:
https://www.construct.net/forum/construct-2/construct-2-general-17/spriter-c2-11-22-test-c3-addon-53263/page-120#forumPost938541

Sorry for the delay. Edgar is currently tied up with work on Spriter 2 until we can release the next bit of update info for it. We'll be setting up a C3 subscription shortly for testing and development once Edgar's hands aren't so full. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

Thanks as always for your patience and support.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey again, new news.

The Construct 3 - Spriter Plugin has problems with Sprite-sheeting. Construct 3 combines images including Spriter Images. So, what happens, is that, the SCML plugin can display the wrong image.

So, the game developers that had ported from Construct 2 to Construct 3 also have broken games. Please, help us out on this by making a stable version of the Spriter Plugin as soon as you can.

Thanks.

Hey guys, I found a possible solution to your problem  @Chadori_RebornXD that you, @Mike at BrashMonkey, could find useful too.

I was having the same problem with the Spriter plugin for C3.

Problem:

• Having more than one SCML object can sometimes cause that one SCML  loads the wrong sprite-sheet.
  • This can sometimes be seen as "weird parts" cropped from the SCML object that is looking OK.
  • This problem is compounded the more SCML objects you add to the mix.

Why it happens:

• Construct 3 automatically generates sprite-sheets of all its graphics for smoother runtime.
  • However, this also includes the images imported for the base sprite-sheet parts of your SCMLs
  • This in turn causes that, since the sprite parts are located on a bigger sprite-sheet created by C3, the position of the image parts are now different.
  • The .scon looks for the image parts and crops them "correctly", however, the parts are now on a bigger and unpredictable sprite-sheet resulting in the issue.

How to solve it (for now):

• Since the problem occurs because C3 finds "spare room" to make a bigger sprite-sheet, then all we have to do is export a bigger, albeit inefficient, sprite-sheet from Spriter.
  • This is done by following the instructions to export the animation from @lucid's post on the C3 forums -here- BUT when generating the sprite-sheet set it to FIXED instead of MAX on the Dimensions section on the bottom left side.
  1. 1984864282_ScreenShot2018-06-21at12_40_09PM.png.49bbd61f04f443f2aa3b78255ed2f2d6.png
  2. 1142770319_ScreenShot2018-06-21at12_39_59PM.png.ffc044a4ce1308e61a23ed87f922acaa.png
  • This will cheat C3 into considering each SCML sprite-sheet animation as a single sprite-sheet on its own to export. Thus, solving the problem... for now.

But won't this cause a huge spike on the size of my game?

• Not really, if you notice, export both versions of the sprite-sheet (big with fixed 1024 and "max" 1024), and you'll notice they have the same size. The transparent useless space on your file does not add much to the final size of the .png, neither to the .scon file.

Hope this helps you all!
Did it work for you?

Happy Spriting!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi every one, do i understand right if i say that the plugin works now only for what I could call "global animation" and there is no way to make it work with intependant sprite in C3?. In other word if you refer to the brashmonkey video "Importing Spriter animations into Construct 2", method 2... it does not work?

Well, I could not make it work anyway. And I find it essential when building games where the collision box position have to be identified on the animation.

Is there anything into the pipe for that? (i may have missed some subject into forum, maybe there are answers somewhere)

Thank you for help and answer eventually. have a good day.

2 hours ago, Berty said:

Hi every one, do i understand right if i say that the plugin works now only for what I could call "global animation" and there is no way to make it work with intependant sprite in C3?. In other word if you refer to the brashmonkey video "Importing Spriter animations into Construct 2", method 2... it does not work?

Well, I could not make it work anyway. And I find it essential when building games where the collision box position have to be identified on the animation.

Is there anything into the pipe for that? (i may have missed some subject into forum, maybe there are answers somewhere)

Thank you for help and answer eventually. have a good day.

You should be able to use the draw self mode that works in C3 but still be able to use the collision rectangles you can add in Spriter. I've not tried that yet though. If it doesn't work yet then its a bug that will need to be fixed.

Thank you Mike. I do appreciate your patience answering every question. I will try this way then. I did not undestoood in the video that added collision rectangle moving with the animation into spriter would be integrated this way into C3. Have a good day.

On 8/15/2018 at 1:11 PM, Berty said:

Thank you Mike. I do appreciate your patience answering every question. I will try this way then. I did not undestoood in the video that added collision rectangle moving with the animation into spriter would be integrated this way into C3. Have a good day.

I just checked and verified that at the moment collision rectangles are not supported in the C3 Spriter plug-in. It's a high priority to get that fixed, but we can't promise exactly how soon that will happen. 
I'll report back here as soon as there's a fix or progress towards one.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

If you own C2 you might want to keep your project in c@ until we can updated the C3 plugin. That's what I'll be doing with my current couple of projects.

There is a workaround we use. Though, probably updating the plugin is better. But just in case.

1. Construct 2 :: New Project
  2. Drag and Drop the SCML into Construct 2.
  3. The Collision Boxes are then automatically created there with High Performance Mode. Standard Mode or Hybrid Mode.
  4. Save as .capx
  5. Import .capx into Construct 3. To be converted into a Construct  3 Project.
  6. From the Construct 3 Editor of that imported project. Copy the Spriter Sprites and SCML from the layout into your main project.
  7. From the Construct 3 Editor of that imported project. Copy the Spriter Initialization Events from the Spriter Event Sheet into your main project.
  8. You now have successfully imported a Spriter :: Hybrid Mode / Standard Mode SCML with collision boxes into your main Construct 3 Project.

The workaround is easy enough to do.
Although, @Mike at BrashMonkey if you still plan to update the plugin, if it's alright, please include the C3runtime. Thanks.

thank you both of you. I have a work around now for construct 3 (not with the latest C3 runtime ?).  I have a long run project, working on it as soon as can. I am going to follow the evolution of C3 runtime when it will be stable. I love spriter, i will try to use it as much as i can by exporting png....And for the more complex animation, I will kept them until you update the pluggin for the C3 latest runtime. I know you have a good reactivity.