Spritesheet export not saving

corndawg

I'm having a real hard time with spriter, I setup my animations for export as spritesheets as below,

a512938b58.png

it performs the export operation, but does not save the file. Some export, some do not on repeat and no error or notice of this is given. I've restarted the program, changed the frame rate, the export size everything and I don't know WHY it isn't exporting. Please help.

Thanks for sending the files corndawg. This allowed me to confirm It is a frame-size and resulting sprite sheet image size issue.  It seems Spriter can't handle exporting such large sprite sheets, ( if you scale while exporting to a much smaller size it works.) Of course, scaling down is not an option if you need the full size animation. ;)

The only current solution is to export as SEPARATE images per frame, and then use another app that can stitch them together into a sprite sheet...

However, I highly recommend for character this large you find a way to recreate/replay the actual Spriter file in your game engine instead of relying on all these huge images.. it will really bloat your file size and adversely effect performance.

May I ask which programming language or Authoring system you might use for this game project?

cheers.

Hi Mike, can I ask if it's the sizing which is the issue, why several of the animations export fine, and not the specific ones I was having the issue with, given it's the same entity involved? I've resorted to sprite sheets because I'm exporting to unity, and the current exporter provided on the forums here doesn't handle different curves, so any keyframes which are one frame apart kind of blow out.

Yes, my guess is even though the character is the same size, due to the number of resulting frames (duration of animation) AND the overall size of each frame (due to position of character, such as arms extended, tail extended etc ) combine to demand a bigger total spritesheet image than Spriter is capable of. 

I'm glad to hear you're using Unity! This should solve all your problems! http://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4477-spriterdotnetunity/

If it has any issues importing or playing back your Spriter files, please report them on that thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have been having problems today exporting sprite sheets as well. It has always worked in the past but now when I save them, there is nothing there, no file at all. The png files I have been using are 96x128 pixels so I don't think there is a size issue. It doesn't even save each frame as separate png files. I've even used an old animation that I've used to make sprite sheets with in the past and that does not work.

I'm taking part in this weekends Ludum Dare, hopefully I can figure out a solution in time.

Hi FailedStarfish,

Are you using the new build of Spirter (r5) or R4?

The size of the png's you're using is not as important as what the total size of each frame would be. For example, even if your separate images are 1x1 pixels, if they are 1000 pixels away from each other in the animation, then each frame will be massive. 

Can you please make a screen grab or screen recording video showing the attempted export and most importantly, what export settings you're using.

Also, feel free to email your Spriter project to mike@brashmonkey.com and tell me which animation you're trying to export and at what settings and i'll see if I can figure out the issue. This is most likely the fastest way to get the issue resolved.

cheers.

Hi Mike.

I've emailed you the files. I'm using Spriter 5 on a Windows 10 pc. The animation shouldn't be bigger than 96x128, I've checked to see if a rogue part has moved away making it bigger but I can not see anything. I've also used an old animation that I've made sprite sheets from before and that does not export anything either. I've attched the settings.

settings.png

The issue you're having is because you have the source rectangle set to "custom rect..." yet you have left, top, right, and bottom all set to zero.. This is exporting each frame as zero pixels wide by zero pixels high.

Switch this back to "trim rect to animation" and that should resolve the issue. (or set proper coordinates for the custom rect settings)

cheers.

• 2 years later...
12 minutes ago, Vladimuffin said:

So I am having the same issue with my animation not creating a spreadsheet. the image is 400x400, and the timeline is 400. I tried saving it at 50% scale and still no sheet. Any help would be appreciated. Im using AGK so an animation sheet is the only thing I can work with.

bigbox.scml

The scml file is not enough for us to troubleshoot. If you'd like, zip up the entire Spriter project (the folder with your scml and all the images it uses) and email it to mike@brashmonkey.com and I'll take a look.

1 hour ago, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

The scml file is not enough for us to troubleshoot. If you'd like, zip up the entire Spriter project (the folder with your scml and all the images it uses) and email it to mike@brashmonkey.com and I'll take a look.

Thanks Mike, I'll do that when I get back to my office. I appreciate the rapid response.