Spriter instantly crashes on Windows 8

blkmkt

Just wanted to give an update in case this information is useful.

After further investigation, I just solved the problem, and it turned out to be a specific driver issue on my system. It would not have been possible to send a spriter project, as spriter crashed upon opening.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 drivers from 9.17.103062 onwards cause crashes in programs that use OpenGL apparently, and rolling back to the previously installed driver reversed this issue. This issue effects folks that are using Surface Pros that have updated the display drivers beyond the factory installed ones. There seem to be no other issues beyond this one.

• 2 weeks later...

After further investigation, I just solved the problem, and it turned out to be a specific driver issue on my system. It would not have been possible to send a spriter project, as spriter crashed upon opening.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 drivers from 9.17.103062 onwards cause crashes in programs that use OpenGL apparently, and rolling back to the previously installed driver reversed this issue. This issue effects folks that are using Surface Pros that have updated the display drivers beyond the factory installed ones. There seem to be no other issues beyond this one.

Thank you so much for this information!

I tested Spriter Pro on my laptop and it worked perfectly but when I tried it on my Surface Pro it would crash upon starting. Reverting the display driver allows the application to run properly now.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently running 9.17.103062 (this is factory?). Still crashes...

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently running 9.17.103062 (this is factory?). Still crashes...

9.17.103062 is updated. Factory is 9.17.10.2867

Roll it back and it should start working

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I also have the same problem on an old lappy under win8, on the same pc under linux i get no problem what so ever. so clearly its an issue related with the way spriter does things on windows vs. the available driver/environment.

Edit: i got it fixed, first time i ever go spriter running under windows.
I searched a bit, and in my case the only driver that got it to work was this one:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18223〈=eng

Windows 8 claimed to have a more up-to-date driver installed, screw that, BS all the way. After installing the above driver its working great... so far anyhow. :D

After disabling OGL spriter works even on the latest win8 'updated' drivers and performance is better than with the other one.
So clearly its an issue with intel's OGL implementation vs. what spriter need/calls.
Ran some other tests and actually with this driver OGL gets broken across the system, not only with spriter.
So the final advice is, use intel's official latest driver, and never trust windows-update it will try to 'update' the 'older' driver and it will ruin everything.