Spriter Technical Support

Ok enoch. I'll be doing some general maintenance this first month or so and cleaning some things up I didn't have a chance to do before the kickstarter. Hopefully some of these fixes will fix your problem. Also, I think you mean you tried a previously posted installer. The installer was updated in the last week or so, so it may fix your problem even if the previous one didn't.

Hello I just downloaded the current beta version on the this from and I Can't do anything with it, I can start the program but, None of the right or left button and I can't draw anything as well. So is there anything you can say or do to help me run this program properly? Thank you ~Joseph

@Joseph_D,

Have you read the Quick start guide which was installed with Spriter? It sounds like you have not yet pre-created images (like body parts) in folders in a main project folder. Spriter is not used to draw, its used to transform (rotate and stretch) and combine multiple separate images to create frames of animation.

Please check in the folder where you installed Spriter for the PDF file and give it a quick read. We'll make tutorial videos and more thorough documentation in the near future.

cheers,

Mike@Brashmonkey

• 1 month later...

I'm having a slight issue with Spriter. It's probably a known bug but if I choose two objects, then right click the parent one to create a group, it seems to just pick another object of the same frame and assign that as the parent instead. Really frustrating, it's the only thing keeping me from using this for my game right now.

sorry for the trouble, crazyheckman.

The next release of Spriter(still in development) will have a much more solid foundation, so it should feel much more solid, and behave alot more like you'd expect it to.

Also, also, the grouping system is getting a large revamp, and will work much more intuitively

Hi crazyheckman,

I can't reproduce your bug.. to create a group I simply left click one sprite, then hold shift and start left clicking the others I want in the group one at a time, and to finish, while still holding shift, I right click on the Sprite (which I had already selected previously by left clicking). This creates the group, with the Sprite I just right clicked as the pivot point.

Edgar is hard at work making a drastically improved Spriter build with the UI completely rebuilt and now running on PC, mac, and Linux. Its still going to be a while before this new build is ready to release though, so hopefully we can help you solve your issue before then.

Any chance you could screen-record the bug in action so I can try and figure out the issue.

thanks,

Mike@Brashmonkey

That's awesome, I'll try to do groups again today and see if I was just doing it wrong.

Not to rush you guys or anything, but is there any kind of date for the next version? The game I'm making right now would be PERFECT for Spriter and I'm really pumped about the flexibility it's going to give me. Really nice work on the tool so far.

EDIT: Whoops, I read the other thread about the update from Lucid saying there's no date yet.

• 10 months later...

Hi josempans,

Are you using the Spriter version downloaded directly from the brashmonkey website, or the new pre-beta "daily" build from here in the forums?

The version on our website has a known performance issue, causing severe slow-down once you've got more than a couple animations with bones... This issue is fixed wit hthe new pre-beta...which, if it keeps progressing smoothly will be replacing the current build soon.

Is that what you were talking about, actual performance of Spriter or were you simply asking how to set a framerate for a given animation in Spriter?

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi,

I'm using Spriter B2 and having the following problems (PRO version)

1. IK, I think I'm not using it right: I can set a bone to IK, but after it is set I cannot move it :(

2. I tried to turn off the Rezise inherit on my sprites, but then, the history windows won't show any changes, and this cannot be saved on the file. Is this working, or it's just a button for now?

Hi Banholio,

There are two ways to use IK. First is to hold SHIFT while changing the angle of a child bone. This will perform IK with it's parent. The second is to set the IK anchor. This locks the current bone tip as an IK anchor. Then when you move the parent (or grandparents further up the chain), it will lock it in place. This is useful for locking both feet in place, and then lowering the torso to create a crouching frame for instance. This and the other the other inheritance features do not create undos because they don't make changes on their own, they are just tools for helping you animate. When you move the timeline, locks will be ignored, and relock when begin editing again. In a future version, we will have the locking state saved to file as well, in case there are objects you always want locked.

Hi lucid

OK, now I get the IK anchor point, but I still have problems with the SHIFT option

Actually, what I dois that I press Ctrl so the rotation shows up, and the I hold SHIFT to rotate it ( I actually was hoping to move it, not rotate, but I was trying what you said earlier), but only the selected bone rotates. Is this right? Maybe I'm confusing the uses of IK :P

Thanks for the quick answer!

hi banholio. We're working on the documentation thing, but holding control is not necessary to change angles, only for scaling. You can change bone angles just by grabbing near the tip (and move it by grabbing near the base)

I will fix it if ik doesn't work when holding control, but if you hold shift while rotating without holding control, it will do the ik thing

That was what I was afraid of, But now that you mentioned I could do it, the thing is that I'm working with small bones and it was dificult to reach the tip (and also I thougth that I needed to grab de rotation icon to make it work)

Thanks for the Feedback, Now I understand perfectly How to use Inverse Kinematics :D

(the problem is that you cannot search for a 2 letter word, so finding help on IK is difficult on the forum)

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to be sure that I'm the only one. I just started using Spriter and paid for the full version last night for the first time. I have a decent two year old Macbook Pro not being overly taxed and has 8GB ram with plenty of available RAM.

Anyway, is it just me or is the mac version of Sprinter virtually unusable? For starters it crashes a lot. That I can deal with though. The real issue is I have pieces randomly copy and pasting duplicates, pieces going from perfectly arranged to seemingly jumbled about, slightly shifting pieces, new animations showing up randomly in the timeline but WITHOUT a little "nodule" to represent that animation (so I cant delete it). I had to completly restart the project multiple times until I gave up trying to get one successful animation. If it matters my system stats:

OSX 10.8.3

2.2Ghz Core i7

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

Tried both Sprinter.app vanilla as well as SprinterGL.app

I just want to be sure this is just me or if this is just the nature of of the B2 release and its known its a bug fest on Mac. Because I would clearly prefer to use the Mac version.

Anyway I know its just the Mac port because when I load up the B2 release in Parallels/Win7 on the same Mac everything behaves exactly the way I would expect and I was able to spit out an animation fast and painlessly (great software guys!!!)

• 11 months later...

Situation: I have a project with a number of fairly complex animations completed, but unfortunately, all of the sprite pieces I've used are arranged haphazardly in a single folder. I would like to simply move my sprite images to a different hierarchy of folders without breaking my animations. How could I do this?

A somewhat similar topic was posted here http://www.brashmonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12506 but no solution or additional information was ever given.

Thanks for any help you can offer.