proper use of the timeline ?

LeuNoeleeste

Greetings everyone,

as someone who has no experience in animation, my recent acquisition of Spriter Pro introduced me to this world. Thanks to the manual, everything is fine but I didn't totally get how to correctly use the timeline, which is probably important ! So until now I tested my animations with any length and any "steps" for each frame (10 by 10, or 5 by 5 etc...). It works, but well, If I want to use this work into my game project I better try to really understand how this tool works, I suppose ! And I don't know how to determine which lenght will be suitable for my animation, and how many space/time I should left between the frames. Is there any way to determine it at least ? It's probably not pure hasard haha. Sorry if this question has been asked a lot, by the way.

Thank you

On 1/5/2016 at 5:51 PM, LeuNoeleeste said:

As game devellopers, we are supposed to exactly know what we're doing, hasard hasn't its place there, so I'm surprised...yeah sometimes my work looks good on Spriter but I don't understand why and I wish I could instead of doing I_Dunno_wat with the timeline :-)

well, it is just how fast you want the whole animation is and how long you like each part to take, there is no magical formula for that!

@LeuNoeleeste

The timeline in Spriter works simply in fractions of a second, with a default animation duration being one second (1000 fractions of a second (thousands of a second of course))

So, if you start an animation from scratch and don't change the duration from beginning to end will last 1 second in your game... if you want something to take half a second in that animation, it would have a key frame to finish that movement exactly half way down the timeline (500 thousandths of a second)

Keep the playback speed in Spriter set to standard 100 percent and when you play your animations in Spriter that is also how they will look in the game.

Learning to make good "looking" animations takes a lot of trial and error and study..which is far from hazard. Worst case scenario you learn what does not look good. ;)

cheers.