Bug: Object Properties unusable on Windows 8.1 Surface Pro 3

DanaLovesVidya

Hi DanaLovesVidya,

This is a known bug for macs with very high res screens.. for those users, there is an option in the OS to set any apps into a "low-res screen mode" which mostly resolves the issue.

I don't have such a high-res monitor, so can't test this directly, but does any of the info here help? http://www.howtogeek.com/175664/how-to-make-the-windows-desktop-work-well-on-high-dpi-displays-and-fix-blurry-fonts/

We do know of the issue in general and will be working on resolving the issue in Spriter itself in a future free update build. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

thanks,
Mike at BrashMonkey

BrashAdmin,

Unfortunately none of the fixes worked.  Disabling scaling doesn't produce any results.  Re-enabling scaling and making everything bigger or smaller still scales the object properties menu as a whole, so it's out of whack no matter how big or small it is on the display.  Thank you for getting back to me so soon.  I really wish there was a fix for this.  New technology tends to run us into a stumble some times.  Man it's such a bummer because I was so looking forward to trying out this software.

Dana

That's unfortunate,

I'll bring this to Edgar's attention ASAP and it will be a high priority for an upcoming update build.  We were already looking into this for the Mac users with retina screens etc, and the same solution (inside Spriter) should resolve the issue for you as well.

It might be a while before we can release a build that actually fixed the issue properly though. In the mean-time, have you looked into the possibility of running your system with 2 monitors? (if your video card supports it).. Maybe hooking up an old monitor as a second monitor for now would allow you to see Spriter's interface properly during the wait.

If I hear of any other solution on the OS or software side I'll report back here.

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
Mike at BrashMonkey

Y'know maybe I can fire up the craptop (old Toshiba Satellite) and get it working on there.  I can designate it as my "Spriter Machine" and just cloud save everything.  It's a hassle but less of a hassle than not being able to use it at all.  I'll let you know if that works out when I give it a go.  Thanks for the 2nd monitor suggestion.  Unfortunately my workspace is a couch in a small apartment, so laptops are my only option.  Luckily I still have Steam on my old machine.

• 2 weeks later...

It works on the old laptop.  Problem is I don't know how I ever survived working on that thing.  It's so god-awful slow. It's painful.

I also forgot to mention one more bug:  Holding shift and resizing a sprite piece initially doesn't stretch it proportionately.  You have to stretch the piece, CTRL+Z back to where it was, and then shift-resize.

Any news on having this HD bug fixed?  I really want to use this software on my Surface.

• 4 months later...

Have you tried the latest build yet? it should be called Release 5 if you look under Help/about in Spriter's menu.

If you don't yet have it, just go to www.brashmonkey.com and download and install it.

This build fixed the screen issues for everyone with high res/retina monitors so far.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Cheers.

-Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me. The screenshot I posted above is actually from release 5. My Spriter pro is the steam version. I am not sure if it's the same as direct download version, but it does say release 5 in the about window. The hardware it is running on is a Surface pro 4. Most things that are text only element are right sized. However, all other UI elements, like buttons and sliders, input box...etc, are very tiny. In the picture below, the text "Timeline" is correct sized, but the UI below are very small. They are usable as it does not hide anything, if only a bit tough to click. However, the property panel has things that are simply not visible.

Thank you,

Bruce

Capture2.PNG

@ BuceCLin Are you using Windows 8? I wonder if all the people who reported the issue resolved for high res monitors are using Windows 10. If you plan on the free upgrade to Windows 10, please report back if that resolves the issue.

We'll look into it in the meantime, but unfortunately neither of us (at BrashMonkey) have a combination of of a windows 8 PC and a very high res monitor. 

cheers.

-Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi Mike,

I am not on Windows 8. It is actually a new Microsoft Surface Pro 4 which only comes in Windows 10. I've made sure all the windows updates are up to date. Are other users reported with success using the steam version? Is there some special launch setting I may need to do as far as you know?

Thanks,

Bruce

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/11/2016 at 0:08 PM, lucid said:

Hello everyone.  For resolution issues please try the following:
Right click on the Spriter exe and go to Properties

Go to the Compatibility tab

Check the box next to Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

Please let me know if this solves your issue.

Nope, the issue is still there. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I came across a temporary fix September of last year and PM'ed it to Brash.  Here is a copypasta of my PM to him:

BIG development on the bug.  I found a temporary fix for use on Windows 8.1 Surface Pro with an HD Screen.

I randomly came across the fix while trying to update the icons on my desktop.  Apparently in order to do so, you have to:

1. Hit the Start Button
  2. Type "Control Panel"
  3. Click on Control Panel
  4. Click on Appearance and Personalization
  5. Click on Display
  6. You will see this: https://gyazo.com/ffddb2d18cb6421ecce0ee5862ba155c
  7. Move the slider left one notch so it looks like this: https://gyazo.com/fd5cee31c3be90b01f864401d6664ed8
  8. Hit the Start Button
  9. Type "Logoff"
  10. Click on Logoff.exe
  11. Windows 8.1 will log you off.  Now log back in.

I noticed that I didn't specifically try changing the screen resolution like I did last time I tried Spriter Pro.  Something told me to open Spriter Pro when I logged back in, and lo and behold I can see everything properly now, and can use the x/y coordinate tools and menus, etc.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this helps!  I guess this thread got lost in the shuffle.  Could be the only explanation as to why he hasn't posted here about it yet.