Question on Sprite size

SuperIconRich

AFAIK, there are currently two ways to achieve this:

1. Export once with "Trim rect to animation" set, find out what the resulting frame size is, calculate what percentage of your desired size that is, and then re-export with the "Output scale" set to that percentage.

2. Export at 100%, then use an external utility, such as IrfanView or ImageMagick, to batch-resize the resulting images.

Note: I have the Pro version, so I'm not sure if all of the above features are available in the free version.

Hi SuperIconRich,

There are two issues at work here:

1) Are the animations already the size you need, or do they need to be reduced in the first place (are they currently oversized)

2) Will all frames of each animation fit within your desired frame size without being cropped, for example, might some parts of limbs etc for some frames extend beyond your desired cropping size?

For the first question, Spriter Pro has a feature that lets you actually create a scaled clone of your entire Spriter project...images and all...to any size you need.  Or, while Spriter is exporting the frames, you can change the export scale..so for example, if your animations were created at 2x size, then you could export the frames at 50 percent so that the resulting full frame images are the proper size.

For the second question, in the export frames as PNG or GIF dialogue, you can choose whether to trim  each frame to the animations boundaries OR to trim to "custom rect.." This option, "cutsom rect" is what you'd want. This will export all the frames trimmed however you need once you set the parameters properly.

Cheers,
Mike at BrashMonkey

I think you should have less problems if you work originally with the desired resolution for sprites. So you must have clear in mind the final resolution in-game.

For example you work originally at 256x256 res for a sprite. Then you finish it and put it in pieces, make it into spriter. Now as Mike said you can export and use the cropping options but this is something that sometimes must be done with care as sometimes scaling or cropping can cut animations or the sprite may not be seen as nice as original res once scaled/cropped.

My recomendation for full resolution work is: Always work 2x size or more with smooth sampling active in spriter when exporting animations, then if you need to resize do it in a art program without interpolation(no nearest neighbour) and check the result (it may be too blurred or not). Also check that you use 1:1 scaling (from 256x256 to 128x128 or 512x512) when you resize to smaller size you always loose crispness. Thats why I dont recommend interpolation when resizing inside pshop or whatever program you use.

Cheers.