Question about copy/paste hierarchy

grayborders

Hi there my project involves a character with different kind of weapons(sword/greatsword/scythe/bow) i have done all the basic animations(walk/run/jumps/dashing/flying) and to save time i just create a sub file for each weapon and for the most part i copy paste the weapons and the top part of the character to fit with the already finished movement.

The problem begins when i do this, not only do i have to insert the top half of the character with the correct bones/sprites on each keyframe, but the z order messes up every time, things will jump forward, or back, and since this is a very complex character with a good 30 bones and 40 sprites, its a big problem for me.

An extension of this same problem is that many times pasting something wont even happen, i select lets say 5 bones and 10 sprites that are all in good hierarchy, but when i paste a random amount of unrelated bones are formed, or just part of the bones gets pasted, and they are messed up with their orientation, and sizes.

my question is is it my fault, or just something the program cant handle yet? mind you my character IS very complex, and i whould not be supprised if it was juts the program.

Hi grayborders,

We can't be completely sure if its a bug or something you're doing "wrong" unless you send us your Spriter project and describe exactly what you're trying to do so we can look deeper into it.

Z order not being part of pasting into new frames or animations is a known issue. We plan to make this more effective in a later build, but is not simple becuase each keyframe can have a totally diferent number of bones and sprites, and in a totally different order.

That said, Spriter should not be creation "new" or redundant or mysterious bones durring a paste, so it seems like what you're describing is a bug.

If you're willing, please send a zip of your spriter project file (the scml file and all subfloders with images) and we'll take a look the first moment we get a chance. Please send it to mail@brashmonkey.com along with a description of what you're trying to do. Of course we won't share the files with anyone.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Yeah its mostly to do with z orders messing up, witch is totally understandable, sine they are very complex, its just very frustrating sometimes.

I was thinking and a way to go around this wohuld be if we had the ability to when pasting paste everything copied over to a certain level, like say select Z layer 32 and it wohuld paste everything over that, not just over the top layer.

Or simply the ability to select multiple layers and move them around, cause as far as i know its not a feature atm, and it wohuld be an amazing help, especially when it comes to humans and making them turn towards the camera wich rearranges the whole z order, and that way i wouhld not be afraid to add new parts to my character later and spending 20h to rearrange the z order for each keyframe of each animation ai already have.

I can send my project and draw up what i was trying to do.

Also I STILL LOVE spriter, gave me the ability to animate.