questions for evaluating before production

scottypp

Ok so my team and I have all bought copies of Spriter and have been trying to get to grips with it, we've achieved some positive things that are very encouraging but there are a few issues that leave us undecided whether to go ahead and use spriter for our upcoming games which will need to go into production imminently!

Expanding the timeline horizontally isnt working, plus how do you do it with a wacom pen ?

I realise that a function/ graph curve editor is in the plans for a future release.....any indication of how far in the future?

Will the function editor split the x,y transforms , rotations and scales?

If the sprites themselves are animated will these also be editable in the graph editor?

Are you able to provide an approx date for the instruction manual / online docs etc?

Would it ever be a viable option to have some kind of sprite deformer/manipulation tool which is a bit more advance than the scaling options currently on offer? like photoshop has mesh warp and after effects has the puppet tool for example? I realise these may be out of your scope but being able to control the manipulation of each asset even slightly more than current, would be a huge asset to the animation quality of a character.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts on these.

Kind regards

Scott.

hi scottypp. thanks for the questions and purchases

Expanding the timeline horizontally isnt working, plus how do you do it with a wacom pen ?

This has been brought up a few times the past few days. It should be hold control and use mouse wheel. I will add an on screen control and/or shortcut key soon as an alternative.

I realise that a function/ graph curve editor is in the plans for a future release.....any indication of how far in the future?

Within a month from today. The upcoming developer documentation which will be released in the next few days, will explain how to implement it.

Will the function editor split the x,y transforms , rotations and scales?

The first version with adjustable speed curves will not, and this will probably appear closer to 1.0.

If the sprites themselves are animated will these also be editable in the graph editor?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but the speed curves will work the same for bones and sprites

Are you able to provide an approx date for the instruction manual / online docs etc?

Online docs for developer implementations should be up by Monday. Mike is working on the user documentation, and I'll have him reply back here with an ETA for that when I next speak to him.

Would it ever be a viable option to have some kind of sprite deformer/manipulation tool which is a bit more advance than the scaling options currently on offer? like photoshop has mesh warp and after effects has the puppet tool for example? I realise these may be out of your scope but being able to control the manipulation of each asset even slightly more than current, would be a huge asset to the animation quality of a character.

Yes, this is planned for post 1.0. 1.0 should be here within roughly 2 months. After that we plan to temporarily shift focus to helping ensure Spriter's full featureset is supported on all major platforms (if it isn't already by that time). After this, work will begin on those types of tools. As Spriter's main goal is real time playback in game engines, the deforming algorithms and the way they're saved within scml will need to be carefully considered. We'll most likely have some testing, experimentation, beta, feedback cycles to refine it, so it's a long term goal, and not something where you should be anticipating this feature to arrive in time for an upcoming game dev cycle.

Hi Everyone,

The humble beginnings of a User's Manual for Spriter can be seen here:\http://www.brashmonkey.com/spriter_manual

Please remember this is the very rough beginnings and is far from complete, so please report any typos, grammar issues, lack of clarity and missing information to mike@brashmonkey.com and I'll take care of it as quickly as I can.

Withing the next build release or two, this manual will also be built into Spriter for fast and convenient (and offline) access.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lucid and Mike, thanks for the replies and for the link to the WIP online docs....great to see.

I've had a little break from testing Spriter to do some more dev work on our games but now im back on it trying to do some test anims to try and implement in our live product.

Im encouraged to hear about the graph editor functions coming soon as well as your future plans for the sprite manipulation tool, that will be really cool!

Im still having no joy in scaling the timeline in and out / zooming to see a smaller or wider range of keys?!!!! i keep trying what you say with a mouse and with my stylus, the only thing i can get it to do is scroll vertically. My workaround at the moment is to keep changing the amount of keys available in the current time boxes and applying that change...which suffices but is very frustrating......can you get back to me on this if possible?

All the best and keep up the good work guys!

Scott.