Character Structure within Spriter

rIKmAN

What is the recommended way to structure characters and their various views - front, back, side, 3/4 etc?

Is it best to have one .scml per view containing all animations for that view, and then show/hide them as needed in game, so: man_front.scml, man_back.scml, man_side.scml etc as 3 different characters (in Spriter)

or

Is it better to have a single big .scml file containing all data for EVERY view and call the correct animation when needed in game?

Is there any performance difference between the methods, or it is simply a matter of preference as to how I prefer to manage my assets?

The samples only show a character facing one direction, so it would be interesting to hear how people are working with Spriter and characters that have a full set of animations for their characters in front/side/back etc.

Thanks.

Hi jayderyi, thanks for the reply.

It's not really the images that I was talking about, it was more how people are managing each characters view within Spriter.

Whether they are having an "all_views.scml" - which contains every animation from every view of the complete character.

or

man_front.scml - contains all front view animations

man_back.scml - contains all back view animations

etc

What do BrashAdmin / lucid recommend with future features/changes to Spriter in mind?

Hi rIKmAN,

It reammy might depend more on the particular game engine.whim of the programmer than any specific technical situation...both approaches are valid.

I suggest the safest bet for any Spriter Pro owner is to create it initially as seperate scml files, because you might perfer using them ore that way, but if not, you'll always be able to merge multiple files into one file later...this also helps multiple artists work on the same game simultaneously etc...

I spoke to Edgar (Lucid) about it as well, and he personally would prefer one scml file with everything in it...but as I said, it might depend and some might prefer multiple files for whatever reason, be it personal preference or specific technical reasons for their specific projects.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Thanks for the reply Brash!

You have answered my question, as I just wanted to make sure there was no difference performance wise with the 2 ways to do it, and that a later Spriter update would mean having to re-do all the characters in some way.

You've cleared that up, so thanks. :)