rpg pack with spriter2unity

Caz

I've watched a ton of videos, but I'm having trouble taking a premade char from the rpg heroes pack and importing the entire animation char into unity using spriter2unity.

I'm assuming my problem is that the scml file from the pack has different information than a regular animation file would have if you were starting from scratch/normal way.

Can someone confirm?

My goal is to use placeholder animations that can be quickly and easily replaced (spriter2unity) in the future without having to remake the animations in unity by hand every single time for each character.  Just trying to get things set up so I don't have to do the same work over and over again.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

My guess is there are specific requirements for Spriter2Unity to successfully convert a Spriter animation to native Unity animation format. I think one such thing is for each image to be assigned to a bone. The Rpg heroes pack uses almost no bones.

You might need to export as a sprite-sheet or sequential images then use that as a standard image swapping Spriter in Unity (assuming they have such a thing.)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Unity+tutorial+2d+sprites

Thanks for the reply.

Let's say for example, if I were to use the assets in the rpg pack to make animations with bones, would that a viable option or full of future problems and headaches?

I want to make more animations (multiple different attacks and such) with those assets - or should I get different assets that are more conducive to bone mechanics?

Also, would I want to handle the animation of a, lets say a sword instead of a dagger, in spriter or unity (assuming bones are used)?

You could use the art and apply bones etc, but keep in mind, due to the required perspective changes in any angle except perfect side view, you cant animate a character walking upward or downward simply by moving or stretching bones... for this you need Spirter's image swapping feature and hand drawn variants for each frame of the limb during a walk etc. This is why traditional games only have 3 frames for walking and why we only provide the same 3 frame style.  To do otherwise becomes exponentially more time-consuming and therefore expensive.

Look into swapping out texture images in Unity.. this can be done manually to reproduce what we call "character maps" in Spriter, for things like swapping out weapons, armor type, cape on/off etc.

If you're using Unity, you might want to look into using actual 3d models where the weapons etc are separate objects which could be swapped out. Depending on how many angles you want, how many moves, etc etc, this might produce far better results far faster and less expensively.