In game weapon switching?

Jonjon

So I'm having a programmer help me make a 2D side scrolling action game.

He sent me this.

There is 1 problem with your animations I can see right now. You do not want to animate the weapon or anything else that is changeable.
What you need to do instead is make a dummy bone for example bone after the hand that the sword will attach to, and it should be centered to the hand.

He told me he mainly does 3D animation and doesn't really do 2D animation. So right now I have the Spriter2Unity plugin, back when that was its official name. Now I see it's been updated in April called Spriter2UnityDX 1.0.3 . If I read it correctly, does it allow me to keep the sword in the guy's hand? Because right now the programmer is asking me to delete the sword from every single animation... or can I just delete the sword picture files from the folder and let it just leave the bone behind or whatever data was attached to the sword being attached to the bone? Besides the custom animations I made, its the same exact Run n Gun platformer purple mega man guy.

So do I need to delete the sword, or can the sword be kept in, and he can use one of these plugins plus some code to be able to swap his default sword with other swords in game when the player gets enough points in-game to upgrade, or swaps it out in some menu?

Same goes for the rest of the body parts. Is the only way to change the appearance of the character in Unity to make other selectable characters, or what? This guy is extremely experienced in making games in general, but I'm not sure if he's just missing something that we can do in Unity with the Spriter plugin and stuff.

Please contact me ASAP on Skype, JonHarv, if you know the answer. Thanks.

Hi Jonjon,

Because this is a Unity specific question, you'd be more likely to get a useful response faster if you posted in the thread for the latest Spriter2Unity or mentioned Unity in the subject of your thread.

That aside, I know for sure that the developer of a much older version of Spriter2Unity was able to use a few lines of code in Unity to swap out the textures of the imported Spriter animations...for example, replace the sword image with an axe image etc.. So, I'm pretty sure your programmer is mistaken...and he might be wasting your time and his own having you delete the sword and replace it with a bone.

Please check with experiences Unity users though, as I'm very Unity-ignorant,

Remember, this is simply a UNITY question, because once Spriter2Unity imports the animations, they are no longer Spriter format, they are native Unity animations... so you should just be able to ask any experienced Unity programmer how to swap out specific textures in an animation.

Cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey