New Spriter 2 Alpha build out with automatic rigging zones and simple IK

lucid

Change Log

Additions

• Rigging zones now attempt to automatically set reasonable rigs according to mesh dimensions
  • Added 2-bone ik when dragging while holding shift outside of rigging mode
  • Blue control point lines now appear for rigging zones for increased readability and can be dragged to drag both connecting points

Changes and Enhancements

• Removed hovered mesh highlighting when one of it's control points is selected
  • Rigging zones now visible while adjusting ligament curves

Known Issues

• Undo and Redo don't always function correctly with the new features
  • Visual bug when dragging out new images. Sometimes image disappears momentarily
  • Double entries for images in z-order
  • Changes to z-order in rigging mode not reflected in animation
  • Occasional visual glitches while editing animations
  • Save and Load not working reliably in all situations
  • Images saved from certain image editors will acquire artifacts when they have antialiased edges where the alpha isn't fully opaque or transparent. These issues aren't exclusive to Spriter 2 and will affect any game engine that doesn't preprocess them. These pre-processing functions will be introduced in a future version, and can be ignored for now.
  • Dragging out more than one of the same images doesn't function correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to discuss this...

I've tried again using Spriter 2 Alpha (first time was in April) just to see where it currently is. I'm kind of surprised by the "forced full screen - no UI approach" of it, which makes it rather counter intuitive. I understand it is still an Alpha and there is much to be done, but I just wanted to know if this new layout philosophy if replacing the "old" more traditional one. As of now, I find it a bit tedious to do stuff in it as most my clicks don't seem to do anything (lack of visual feedback, I guess...)

Spriter 1 definitely has room for improvement technically speaking, so that's great that Spriter 2 will come out with all these new features. But I believe that the strength of Spriter 1 is its ease of use, right from the get go. Much more than the new features that 2 is offering, I wish I could see a more polished UI because I feel it is lacking some very basic things (select multiple animation frames at once, insert a frame or blank space in the middle of an animation, easy loop through folder images, etc).

Of course, I'm still excited for Spriter 2 and I really hope that the above gets addressed in future builds (or is included in the road-map to 1.0 )

Cheers !