animated char map

hi there, new here.

short backstory, im working on a metroidvania like platformer, i was making my animations frame by frame in another software with bones and "exporting" the pngs to construct 3, but ive recently (stupid me) seen that you dont have to do any of that with spriter , it saves you time, space and maybe even performance.

my character has a multitude of weapons that have animations on them, as one single construct 3 object/sprite. so i made a char map to where the weapon would be on spriter and changed my weapon object on construct to match its position and angle.buuuut its not quite the same, the construct object doesnt know when the spriter char map is flipped or deformed (on the animation) and it makes it weird. i could also just put all the weapons in spriter but then they wouldnt have the animations in them.

TLDR:

so my question is, is it possible to have character maps with animations in them ?

1.png3.jpg

Not directly, no. You're using the right approach by using a place-holder sprite in Spriter, and then controlling it in construct. You could try making it display a totally invisible frame once it's in construct. (just find the sprite and erase all pixel data from it's frame) and then have an event that every tick-sets the replacement weapon sprite in the same exact position and angle and scale as the place-holder sprite, and having events that check if specific character maps are active and if so, then change the sprite to specific animations.

2 hours ago, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

Not directly, no. You're using the right approach by using a place-holder sprite in Spriter, and then controlling it in construct. You could try making it display a totally invisible frame once it's in construct. (just find the sprite and erase all pixel data from it's frame) and then have an event that every tick-sets the replacement weapon sprite in the same exact position and angle and scale as the place-holder sprite, and having events that check if specific character maps are active and if so, then change the sprite to specific animations.

thanks for the reply

(just find the sprite and erase all pixel data from it's frame) and then have an event that every tick-sets the replacement weapon sprite in the same exact position and angle and scale as the place-holder sprite, and having events that check if specific character maps are active and if so, then change the sprite to specific animations.

haha yes, thats what im doing right now :lol: and i can change the weapons in construct without the need to add them to spriter, and it works fine, except...  if i have deformations in the animation width or height or even just flipping the image in spriter, it wont translate to construct...if i could select the spriter object´s height and width in construct it might work, but there only seems to be an option for scale ratio ...so basically it works fine for position and angle, but nothing else... 

anyways if it doesn´t work it doesn´t work, ill just have to compromise, but hey since you guys are working on spriter 2  maybe add those options, to manipulate an individual object´s height and width, and also adding that movie clip ability for looping a sub-entitie´s   animation automatically heheh

31 minutes ago, jorge oliveira said:

thanks for the reply

haha yes, thats what im doing right now :lol: and i can change the weapons in construct without the need to add them to spriter, and it works fine, except...  if i have deformations in the animation width or height or even just flipping the image in spriter, it wont translate to construct...if i could select the spriter object´s height and width in construct it might work, but there only seems to be an option for scale ratio ...so basically it works fine for position and angle, but nothing else... 

anyways if it doesn´t work it doesn´t work, ill just have to compromise, but hey since you guys are working on spriter 2  maybe add those options, to manipulate an individual object´s height and width, and also adding that movie clip ability for looping a sub-entitie´s   animation automatically heheh

Can't you check if the sprite is mirrored and mirrored it's replacement sprite via the same event? You should be able to unless you are using the draw self mode and are not using the spriter object in the mode that uses Construct sprites for each body part. You should theoretically be able to copy all of it's transforms (height, width, angle, opacity, and whether or not it's mirrored)

Can't you check if the sprite is mirrored and mirrored it's replacement sprite via the same event? You should be able to unless you are using the draw self mode and are not using the spriter object in the mode that uses Construct sprites for each body part. You should theoretically be able to copy all of it's transforms (height, width, angle, opacity, and whether or not it's mirrored)

yeah , i am using the draw self mode, for performance reasons, the game is meant for pc, do you think performance would take a hit if i changed to that mode ?