Duplicate entities with similar animations but different main folder

Daedolon

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a game which has several characters sharing some weapons assets.

My current game project is like this :
- char 1 (contains all body parts for char 1)
- char 2 (same but for char 2 - file names are identical as char 1)
- char 3 (same but for char 3 - file names are identical as char 1)
- weapons (contains weapons used for all characters)

All the characters have similar animations, the only thing is that they have different haircuts or different body sizes, so I can't use char maps here.

I created one entity for char 1 with all the animations required. There are also a lot of char maps to change clothes, weapons, facial expressions for all animations.

Is there any way to duplicate this entity and then for all animations inside the new entity, to tell the project to load assets from the char 2 folder instead of the char 1 ? I saw the "Bake new entity" feature but it won't adjust char maps folder which also uses the same update right ?

There are quite a lot of sprites in each animations since I animate a lot of body parts so even if the new sprites on the new animations still need to be repositioned, it'll already be a huge time saver. Same for char maps which would be automatically duplicated, the names of the sprites are identical between characters.

Is it possible ?

Thanks !

" Is there any way to duplicate this entity and then for all animations inside the new entity, to tell the project to load assets from the char 2 folder instead of the char 1 ? I saw the "Bake new entity" feature but it won't adjust char maps folder which also uses the same update right ? "

You can indeed activate specially made character maps to replace the default images and then create a new entity based on that character map, and it will keep all the other character maps the original entity had, but you're right, (if I understand).. the character maps are still based on the original images before they were swapped out, so you'd manually have to change the character maps. I'll point this out to Edgar, but can't promise if or when this would be improved so the character maps would be updated too.

Thanks for reporting this.
cheers.

Sure no worries ! I understand my request is kind of special. I'll use the bake function for the moment.

However I do assume in video game making, my case can happen quite often, where several characters having similar stances but different sizes but still sharing common assets.

I also saw that projects can merge other projects, so maybe I could create sub folders with each char and duplicate the weapons folder for each of them, then create the first one and duplicate the scml to the other chars. Since file names are identical, it should work. But I guess the weapons folder would be duplicated for all characters. Maybe the time saved using this way could be worth this little problem. Or does Spriter pro have a way to automatically remove identical images ? I know Construct 2 does this for example which is quite a life saver.

You could indeed clone your project, replace the same-named images as needed in the clone (manually in the folder) and then merge that clones scml using the new images into the original scml, which would be important as a new entity... I think you can't pick and choose which folders of images get merged with identical folders/names, or if they are copied in as totally new folders/images.. I think its either/or (or or the other across the board.)

Thanks for the details. Spriter crashed when I tried to merge the two first characters. So I went with the "bake to new entity" solution and had to manually recreate all the char map which took me a few hours but no choices.

Let me know if your dev think my first idea is possible to implement in Spriter !

Thanks !