More testing needed, lots of bugs currently

wertandrew

Disclaimer: I 've read all tutorials and I ve used the free version for quite some time now. I love the software, but everytime I try to animate, I keep on bumping on new issues.

So first of all, sorry for being abstract, but I can't take this anymore. Everytime I start making something in Spriter I keep on bumping on issues and frustration ensues. For example, I press Ctrl+D on a selected object and suddenly all other objects move in z-order. I delete an object in a specific frame, then it gets deleted a frame before too. I press B to join a sprite with a bone then the sprite will lose position in other frames even if the bone doesn't move in them. I also saw that there is no longer a free version (I guess its a time limited one now?). I would expect this change to be done once the software is stable, because now you are just limiting your audience in a time that you need more testers. My advice would be to set up test sessions and observe what users do, because my feeling is that Spriter has limited functionality if not used the way its supposed to. I wish that this product succeeds because its awesome and has a lot of potential, but right now I am in the verge of moving on another animation software because of the bulk of issues that I encounter every time I want to animate something. 

Edit: Also when exporting, it would be cool if the view captured properly, I got the mouse inside the export:

488f37392b.png

Hi wertandrew,

Thanks for taking the time to leave feadback, when reporting bugs, please be sure to mention which OS and OS version number you're running Sprier on.

"I press Ctrl+D on a selected object and suddenly all other objects move in z-order."

Do you mean hold control and press the letter D? This does nothing for me. By D did you mean delete or down arrow?

"I delete an object in a specific frame, then it gets deleted a frame before too."

Can you record a video of this? Are you sure that specific object had a keyframe of its own on the "frame before"?

"I press B to join a sprite with a bone then the sprite will lose position in other frames even if the bone doesn't move in them."

(I assume you mean you hold B and then left click to make it part of the bone. ) This can get confusing because Spriter can have a totally different bone hierarchy per keyframe... you can change it at any point in the animation.  If you suddenly parent it to a bone at one spot in the animation, that's the only spot its a child of the bone, but the sprite itself still needs to tween from its position as a non-child in the previous frame to its position on the bone. Be sure to keep such consequences in mind and consider using "key selected" with that sprite selected in the previews frame to make sure its position is protected. It's definitely possible you found a real bug, but the functionality is confusing, so please record a video demonstrating the unexpected behavior to help us trouble-shoot.

"I also saw that there is no longer a free version (I guess its a time limited one now?). I would expect this change to be done once the software is stable, because now you are just limiting your audience in a time that you need more testers. "

There always was and always will be a free version. What is misleading you into thinking the free version is gone? Also, the program has been tested by its many tens of thousands of users for several years now, and when bugs are reported in detail they tend to be fixed fairly quickly. The vast majority of Spriter users can create complex complete game projects and art packs with Spriter without hitting any more snags than they would using any other productivity software.

"My advice would be to set up test sessions and observe what users do, because my feeling is that Spriter has limited functionality if not used the way its supposed to."
This is not realistic for us, and would be less productive than having any of the tens of thousands of users record a video and report bugs in detail when they run into a problem. We then have skype screen-share sessions with them if needed to further try and figure out if its a bug, user-error, or some other sort of problem.

I wish that this product succeeds because its awesome and has a lot of potential, but right now I am in the verge of moving on another animation software because of the bulk of issues that I encounter every time I want to animate something. 

Thanks again for the reporting and the well-wishing. If you can, please clarify about which OS you're on, and what exactly do you mean regarding Control+D (on the canvas, in a specific palette list? etc.) Videos of any of the other issues you mentioned would also help, except of course the mouse resize icon being captured by the animation export, that's clearly an obvious and easy to reproduce bug and I'll report it to Edgar ASAP.

Cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

Thanks for the reply. As much as I value your opinion, the point I was trying to make is that more testing is needed, I just gave some examples in order not to sound negative but constructive. I know that the current approach to testing is cheap and efficient, but I would advise proper testing sessions, mainly on usability and user experience. Hire 4 testers with different skill levels on Spriter (minimum for a limited budget, testers usually take 50$/hour), and observe how they approach the product. Ask questions, like "Do they get it?", ask them to perform key tasks and watch how they work. I think this will not only reveal bugs, but even usability issues. 

Personally I don't have the time to test right now, even though I want to help improve Spriter. I am using Win 10. Regarding Ctrl+D, that's a functionality for copying an object into all frames: https://puu.sh/tb1Y4/fe40ba978f.png Regarding the trial version, there was a video that mentioned that and I was surprised and I didn't download the latest patch thinking that I would lose access. If I find the video I ll link it as an edit.

User experience feedback, especially for new users is indeed valuable to in making any tool more accessible. It's certainly true Spriter would improve, especially from the point of view of first time users if we invest more time on making sure there's menu access to all features, make sure there's mouse-overs for everything and basically, as you mentioned, watch some first time users try to do something with Spriter. I'll discuss it with Edgar.

As for control+D, thanks for reminding me. It did nothing when I tried it because I had nothing in that current key frame that wasn't already in all the rest. ;) 

This new build R10 fixes the z-order issue when pasting things to new frames. If you're using R10 and still have this issue, please make a concise screen recording showing the before z order in the key frames and the resulting disorder after control-d is used so we can figure out the problem.

I have a feeling you watched a video that said a specific feature was only available in Spriter Pro and not  the free version. Unless we used incredibly confusing and misleading wording, no official video by us would ever say the free version will no longer be available.

Thanks again very much for all the great feedback, suggestions and taking the time for this discussion.

Especially users like you help make Spriter a better product and we really appreciate it. We're lucky to have many great members of the community, and we'll continue to do our best to continue to add value to Spriter and its peripheral products for them.

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

No worries, thanks for taking time to reply in detail. I will try to observe the issues more carefully from now on and if something comes up I ll write a repro ticket. I will also download the latest version and check if the z-order issue happens (I read the patch notes and was excited to see something like that mentioned, but I didn't download because of the misinformation I mentioned above). Thanks again and keep up the good work.