Sprite Sheets for Individual Components (RPG Heros)

thebluejester

Hi all!

I've finally started using Spriter after owning it for over a year! 
I've watched most of the tutorial videos and they are wonderful. But I'm still a bit stuck.

I want to be able to make sprite sheets (3 Horizontal x 4 Vertical) but instead of whole characters (which I can do no problem) I want to export sheets with a single "item" on them. Like just the leg coverings or just the chest covering ect.

My engine lets me create characters out of "parts", so when you equip a new clothing item the item can change on your character if you have a sprite sheet for it. 
I've attached an example (from a different sprite sheet maker).

I assume this can be done by some kind of custom character map?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! 
(P.S. I did search around and try working it out before posting)

Vest06.png

You could indeed create character maps which hide specific parts... you you'd apply a charter map which you created which hides everything except the left arm and then export your sprite sheet etc

However. this could create z-order issues...where on one frame maybe the left arm goes behind stuff, where on the other perhaps it goes in front.

What authoring system are you using? It might be easier to switch to using actual Spriter playback and use an altered version of the full pack in-game for the customizing options...

either way its a lot of work.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I'm using 001 Engine: http://www.engine001.com/ 
I don't believe it can use the Spriter playback.

I'm happy enough to export larger "parts". E.g. Chest and Arms with the clothing of choice on them as a single sprite-sheet to help deal with the Z Order. 

Is there a way I could create new "Animations" under the normal character project/profile and have those animations only show the parts of interest? So an Animation just for the chest and arms, one for the legs, ect? But drawing this info from the "FullSpriteSheet" Animation?

Still trying to get a handle on this wonderful software, thanks for your help! :D

P.S. NPCs will just be normal full spritesheets. It's only playable characters and their items I will be doing in this format, if I even can use this format.

Yes, you certainly can create new animations, but it would require a strong foundation in general Spriter usage, and if you need new images for limbs, the torso or head on new angles etc then you'd need to custom make them in a pixel art program..making sure they use the same exact color indexes for the same stuff.

You've picked a very advanced project for your first time use of Spriter ;) It's all doable, but you'll have to learn and adapt to several things along the way.

cheers.

-Mike at BrashMonkey