Pivot or Bone?

germanmolto

Hi! I just bought the pro version and I'm strugling to make my first animation (even though it seemed so easy). The issue is that I have already set up all my sprites and each of the pivots, but when I assign the bones, the rotation of each sprites uses the bone starting point not the pivot of the sprite. What is the point in setting the sprite's pivot then? Also, is there a way to be more presise when adding bones? I found that holding B when creating a bone, not always makes a child of it and I have to set it manually. And if i try to create it just at the end of the las bone I created the mouse selectsthe previous bone. I hope you can help me. Thank you!

That's right, the bone's pivot is what matters, not the sprite's pivot. The sprite's pivot can just stay default (upper left corner) unless you plan on deforming the sprite independent of the bone, which becomes useful if you want to get fancy, such as to spread down or up a cape on a character's back, in which case set the pivot to around the upper middle.
Holding B doesn't create a new bone, but rather is for selecting an image to become attached to that bone. What you need to do is select a bone, then hold Alt key and make the next bone. That way it'll be the child to the parent.

You can also be more precise adding bones by going into the Hierarchy column seen at the left edge of the screen and clicking and dragging bones (or images at that step) into bones. You can even rename bones here to make that easier if you like, so that you always know that a face image is going to the Head bone, etc.

16 hours ago, germanmolto said:

Hi! I just bought the pro version and I'm strugling to make my first animation (even though it seemed so easy). The issue is that I have already set up all my sprites and each of the pivots, but when I assign the bones, the rotation of each sprites uses the bone starting point not the pivot of the sprite. What is the point in setting the sprite's pivot then? Also, is there a way to be more presise when adding bones? I found that holding B when creating a bone, not always makes a child of it and I have to set it manually. And if i try to create it just at the end of the las bone I created the mouse selectsthe previous bone. I hope you can help me. Thank you!

You can animated many things such as effects without any bones at all... then the sprites pivot point is extremely useful.. you can also simultaneously animate a sprites movement via the bone, but also rotate it around its own pivot point. These and the scaling thing adamcreator mentioned are the reasons images have their own pivot points, and of course to allow for character maps to work when swapping different sized images.

Holding B is only to assign sprites or child bones to a bone you currently have selected, it has nothing to do with creating new bones that are automatically children.. to do that, just make sure you have the bone you want as parent selected and the new bone will automatically be a child.

So long as you are holding alt and left click and drag, with a previous bone selected, you'll create the new bone and it will be a child of the selected bone, it does not just select the previous bone.

There is a manual built into Spriter (help/help in Spriter's manual) and a large collection of quick-tip and tutorial videos, have you gone through this instructional material?

cheers.

-Mike at BrashMonkey