Swapping Sprite Sheet images

Shaun

Hey guys,

I am currently pulling my hair out!

All I want to do is swap an image in an animation using a sprite sheet. (all of my images for this animation are in one sprite sheet) 

In my project I have a few animations with slight differences in movement and I need to change a few facial features.

So, I have cloned the initial animation, made a few minor movement tweaks and I now want to swap the necessary images.

However, right clicking on the new image while the animation image is selected doesn't offer me the "replace sprite" option (it does give me the option for a single PNG image file). Am I doing something wrong? 

I can achieve what  I want by manually inputting the x and y positions, but this method is tedious.

Also as a side note I would also like to highlight that sometimes Spriter is a little buggy and my images disappear in the z-order panel, but reappear after I reload Spriter, any ideas why this would be?

I am running the paid version of Spriter release 4.1 and have look for updates but none seem to exist at present. 

Please can someone offer me some help, this is really frustrating and is holding up my game development.

Hi aiat_gamer,

If you select an image that is part of your animation (left side of the Spriter UI, Z-order panel) and then right click on a different image from your project folder (right side of the Spriter UI, Palette) and option should appear that says "replace selected sprite image". Selecting this option then replaces the animation image.

This works for single PNG image file, but it doesn't seem to work for images that are encapsulated within a sprite sheet.     

Hopefully that make more sense.

I forgot to add before I have the 64 bit Spriter release 4.1 installed, I'm now thinking of giving the 32 bit version a try (I have 64bit Windows 7 on my comp). 

Hi Shaun,

Sorry to hear you've run into an issue.  It is indeed a bug, but luckily there's an easy work around. If you right click on any image in the canvas, a pop up will appear with all the other images in that sprite sheet which you can choose to replace the original image. Also, if you navigate out of that sprite sheet in the file palette and have single images in the folder as well, you can right click on any single image to replace the original image with.

Does this help?

Cheers.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your response.

I can't see the option you are describing.

If I right click on an image in the canvas I get a pop-up with the following options:

- Show All Objects

-Hide Selected Objects

-Unlock All Objects

-Lock Selected Objects

-Deselect All Objects

-Copy Selected Items To All Frames

-Copy Selected Item Property To All Frames

Any ideas?

Do you have any fixes or ideas for why my Z-order images disappear too? 

By disappear I mean I can see the image name text next to the image but no image, this also messes up my image rotation.

When this issue occurs I can no longer rotate the image in the canvas (if the image in the canvas remains visible), the black dotted line box can rotate but the images remains static.

Again any help is appreciated, cheers. 

If you are seeing those options you are not right clicking on the image, you right clicking on an empty part of the canvas. Right click and hold on the image directly and the swapping popup should show up (a palette of all the images in the same sprite sheet).

If this doesn't work for you can you please record the screen while attempting it so we can perhaps see if there's another issue at work?

Thanks very much.

P.S. I have just noticed that the disappearing images / rotation issues I'm experiencing occur when I press the save button after dragging new sprites into the canvas.

Still no idea how to solve this, but closing Spriter and reopening the file seems to make the images reappear and I am once again able to rotate all of the sprites in the canvas, until it happens again.