Proper way to Layer images?

Adrian

I am designing a game where my Character can equip different weapons and gear. I have layered the character in Spriter (sometimes I am required to change an objects Z-order depending on the current frame) however the way my game will read the sprite sheets and layer the different equipment causes problems as sometimes different frames will require objects to be layered differently, so if the Shield is meant to be in front of my characters arm it will ALWAYS appear in front, even though some frames may require the Shield to appear behind.

I have temporarily fixed this issue by deleting a portion of the shield... however, I feel this way is inefficient as some gear or shields may be sized differently. My question is, is there any better way to do this? A suggestion could be an option in Spriter that will automatically "hide" the portion of the shield covered by other objects when the Shield is exported and given its own independent sprite sheet. Similar to what I have done manually in the image below.

I have attached an example: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=oavewk&s=8#.VXugkkYjhZo

Any help is always appreciated!

This is a basic game creation question, and not specific to Spriter, if I understand it correctly.

I see two possible solutions...

1) Program your game to pay attention to the current frame of any particular animation and adjust z-order of the layers that make the animation accordingly.

2) (no programming needed) Have 2 Layers at all times for any object that changes z-order... for the shield there would be a "shield behind body" layer and a "shield in front of body" layer... each layer would either be blank or have a shield image as appropriate for any particular frame of any particular animation.

Make sense?

Cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey