Aiming within an animation

fraudecon

So I've been scouring the documentation for Spriter and I'm trying to see if there's a way to make what happens in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eofB2Z4-00w) happen within Construct 2. I suppose if I had to think of a way to describe it, it would be runtime tweening of bone structures toward another object (in this case, the mouse). Is this within the realm of possibility with Spriter and Construct 2?

Hi fraudecon,

Yes, one way is you could simply animate the body of the character minus his head and the arm with the gun, and add a spawning point to where the head and arm holding gun attach, then attach the head  sprite and arm holding gun in the game engine to the anchor points.

also, you could create several animations of the upper body. complete with arms and head, each one showing the character aiming at one of (bare minimum) 4 angles (leftward, upward and forward and downward), then use the animation blending option in the Spriter object to blend each of the pure angles together to create the full range of aiming angles. This would take a bit of trial and error with the numbers for your exact angles, but should work very well.  I'd also go further and separate the upper and lower body of the character into two separate Sprier objects so the character could stand, walk, run, walk backwards etc etc, all while using the same animation set for the upper body aiming. Make sense?

Cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi fraudecon,

Yes, one way is you could simply animate the body of the character minus his head and the arm with the gun, and add a spawning point to where the head and arm holding gun attach, then attach the head  sprite and arm holding gun in the game engine to the anchor points.

also, you could create several animations of the upper body. complete with arms and head, each one showing the character aiming at one of (bare minimum) 4 angles (leftward, upward and forward and downward), then use the animation blending option in the Spriter object to blend each of the pure angles together to create the full range of aiming angles. This would take a bit of trial and error with the numbers for your exact angles, but should work very well.  I'd also go further and separate the upper and lower body of the character into two separate Sprier objects so the character could stand, walk, run, walk backwards etc etc, all while using the same animation set for the upper body aiming. Make sense?

Cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

I was definitely thinking about using the animation blending! I will be acquiring a full construct 2 license over the holiday, so I've actually yet to be able to fully test out an exported sprite. I didn't think about doing the two separate parts of the body to accommodate running AND gunning. Great tips thank you.