Not sure if I should keep doing this in Spriter.

Jonjon

So I turned the default adventure guy into a stick figure, so I wouldn't have to re-bone everything. I didn't like the way he looked, so I morphed the shapes around inside Spriter. I did it to the Idle animation, and then from there made my own running, jumping, and fighting animations based on the warped character. The thing is, the .PNGs aren't warped themselves, only when they're inside Spriter on those particular cloned animations I did from the Idle animation.

Is there a way to convert the .PNGs to look like how I warped them in Spriter? Or will I have any problems in Unity when I use the Spriter plug-in to transfer them over? I don't want to keep making animations based on this warped character if it's just going to be a waste of time.

If you don't get what I did, I can post pictures in a sec.

Original as it appears when the .PNGs are put together. http://imgur.com/lyrX5rK

The warped version. http://imgur.com/N9Dnh7Y

Hi Jonjon,

There is no built in functionality to readjust the images and the actual data to compensate for what you want to be the new default shape of the images.

This is a situation where you will likely end up spending more time than the initial time you would have sent by just making and assigning bones to properly scaled images. I know it can be a tedious process in many programs, but in Spriter, when you know what you're doing the process can literally be a matter of seconds. (less than a minute for a basic human game character.)

This video shows the process starting at 14:30:

I think the best solution for your situation would be as follows:

1) Export all the new animations you've made as PNG images (keyframes only!)

2) clone a key frame of you character and separate all the body parts so they are all not overlapping at all and rotate all the parts so they are laying flat (not on an angle on screen)

3) Export this single key-frame, which you can use in a paint program to grab all of your properly stretched body part images.

4) Save all the new, stretched body part images and put them in appropriate image folders in your Spriter project.

5) Use the key frame images you'd used for each of your animations within Spriter as a guide to recreate your animations with the new body part images..... IMPORTANT points below:

a) Be sure to only assemble and bone your new character ONCE, in the zero point of the timeline of your first animation, and copy and paste the fully assembled character to start the other animations.

b) Do not reassemble each key frame of each animation one body part image at a time, just pose the new, properly boned character using the new images using its bones...using the exported animation key frames as a guide to make sure each new key-frame you make is exactly the same as in the original animation.

I hope this helps.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Thanks it does help.

I was wondering about another thing. I made some face parts in photoshop. I want to animate slightly complex facial movements. Like not just alternating between different heads with blinking eyes, but full on individual eye blinks of varying types, and squinting and crap, with eye lid layers, and doing shape tweens for mouth movements for small bits of dialogue. I have an idea of what to do, but I'm only starting to learn this in flash, and it's not the same as spriter, and I haven't really seen it done in spriter.

I was wondering if you have pointers, or know of tutorial videos that demonstrating efficient facial animation techniques in Spriter.

For now you'd have to rely on image swapping, but instead of swapping the whole head images, you'd build your head out of many images, including those for the eyes etc.

You can animate the entire heads position with a bone, and image swap, scale or move each facial feature individually by manipulating each image.

The are several awesome features coming up that will make such things easier still, but cant reveal more just yet.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Here's something I made so far. Looks like shape tweening and motioning tweening in Spriter works pretty damn well for facial animation. In fact it's much easier than working in Flash. If only I could use Spriter to make my cartoons as well ;p....... I wonder if that's one of the things you don't want to reveal yet, because that would be awesome.

XtRx5n6.gif