top-down view

thooruchan

Hello!

I'm new to Spriter, but it looks like it could be quite the useful tool for animating. Currently I'm working on a top-down view puzzle/action game, and the team is arguing over whether bones can be used on such a game.

My question is, does Spriter let you bone/animate a character from a top-down view? And if so, how?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I've looked around the forums and didn't see such a topic.

thanks!

here's an example of how you'd see the characters:

bksprprev.jpg

Hi thooruchan,

In any view which required srastically foreshortened perspective for limbs as the limbs "rotate" is far more difficult to animate in any 2d workflow, and is not simply a matter of "pinning bones" and then moving them around....

The ideal workflow to animate great looking overhead or isometric animations is to initially create the animations in a 3d program, render them out, then chop them out and recreate them in sprite with the chopped up pieces...using the exported frames as a guide per key frame.

You might be able to animate a decent overhead walk using just a set of carefully designed body parts and moving them around with bones or otherwise, but it would be diffucult, and a task requiring a very skilled artist/animator.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey