Game Engines

CitrusLord

I'm starting to work on planning and art for a game project, but am mostly at a loss for what engine to use. I've done plenty of research into it, and a few have peaked my interest (Unity, Angel, XNA to name a few) but I haven't done enough with code to really know which engine to pursue. I've done a bit of work in Java script and Action script 3, and would most like something visual such as Unity, so I can spend as little time learning code as possible, and more on animation and artwork.

I'm mainly worried about what each engine is capable of in terms of how much can be drawn on the screen and how many sprites and animations can be handled at once, as well as complexity of AI and potentially cross platform-ability. (If these things would even be a problem)

Unity looks like my best bet, but at this point in time I cannot afford the license, was wondering if anyone here has more experience with this and would be willing to share.

I've been using Scirra's Construct 2 and have been extremely happy with it. I would definitely recommend looking into that one. http://www.Scirra.com

I've look at it a bit, as well as Game Maker, and I think I'm going to go with Unity when 4.3 and the native 2d tools are released. I'm mainly worried about being limited, and I think unity will give me the most options, and I'm not shy from coding altogether.

I've been using Scirra's Construct 2 and have been extremely happy with it. I would definitely recommend looking into that one. http://www.Scirra.com

I've look at it a bit, as well as Game Maker, and I think I'm going to go with Unity when 4.3 and the native 2d tools are released. I'm mainly worried about being limited, and I think unity will give me the most options, and I'm not shy from coding altogether.

Then yeah, unity is the most powerfull of the bunch, but also is $1500, so unless you are going the yaaarrrrr way you are looking into a considerable investment.

Construct is the best when getting something running fast with ease, gamemaker is far more powerful than construct due to some recent developments, but it's drag and drop is nearly useless.

XNA is discontinued and it already doesn't run on newer devices, so don't go near it, you would be wasting your time.

Torque2D is very powerful, but not as much as gamemaker.

Then there's multimedia fusion, which is extremely weak, but incredibly easy to use.

Then yeah, unity is the most powerfull of the bunch, but also is $1500, so unless you are going the yaaarrrrr way you are looking into a considerable investment.

Construct is the best when getting something running fast with ease, gamemaker is far more powerful than construct due to some recent developments, but it's drag and drop is nearly useless.

XNA is discontinued and it already doesn't run on newer devices, so don't go near it, you would be wasting your time.

Torque2D is very powerful, but not as much as gamemaker.

Then there's multimedia fusion, which is extremely weak, but incredibly easy to use.

Well, looking at the licence for Unity, it seems development is mostly clear for the free version. Most of the restrictions shouldn't make much of a difference for a 2d game, and its good up to $100,000. If I manage to make that much, buying the licence shouldn't be a problem.

I was set on XNA, since I've seen it do everything I want it to, up until I heard it was being dropped. Depending on how long it takes Unity to release their 4.3, I'll might end up prototyping stuff in construct, or just Unity with a third party program, to get a feel for things. Then, depending on how the licence continues with the 2D toolset, move forward with that or possibly gamemaker if there are some nasty restrictions.

I'm pretty set on Unity right now despite the licence since it looks work-around-able and the animation head at my school has alot of experience with it. Having someone to go to directly with any potential problems would be fantastic. I definitely appreciate the pointers though,