sprite creation...ideal size?

scottypp

Wouldn't the most important factor be the final target? I think somewhere between "as small as you can make it while still looking good" and "as large as you can make it without taking up too much memory" is a good choice. (I tend to aim closer to the first statement, as I'm making freely downloadable games, but to me "looking good" does require plenty of pixels.)

Yes, I'm aware that's a very vague answer. If you want a more detailed answer, you could tell us what you will be using your sprites for, and what kind of style you're aiming for. (Or, just wait for someone else to give a different kind of answer.)

Thanks trumgottist, game platform will be Web, Android and IOS. I've started crating a character at a fairly high res and I will just experiment from there I think. The final result will have to look as sharp as possible. Do you know if it is crucial to 'crop' each character element before exporting as a png? I am drawing my character in photoshop on a 1k canvas. Or does saving it as a p g automatically crop tight the image? Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Regards

Scott.

Take a look at this script for Photoshop. You may find it quite useful. Among other things, it will trim the sprites for you before exporting them as png.

And in the future, Spriter will be able to scale down animations too, so erring on the side of too large is better than discovering later on that you want larger sprites and having to re-do them.