Spriter XNA

An XNA implementation for the Spriter Format is available at github.

The XNA Spriter library is composed of two parts, a custom content pipeline extension and the actual runtime library. This content pipeline processes the .SCML file at compile time, creating a single texture atlas/sprite sheet and munging the actual XML data into objects more suitable for the XNA framework. This means a large chunk of the import work is done at compile time, reducing the load times significantly at runtime. The ReadMe has more details in the implementation section. The second part of the library actually loads the processed data and handles updating and

drawing the Spriter character.

Be aware the the library currently supports the pre-Ludum Dare format, so bounding boxes are not handled. However, I will be updating the code soon to do so.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working with the older copy posted in this thread, and have made some changes for the game we're working on. I've fixed hotspot positioning/rotation and added flipping the entire sprite across the X and/or Y axis working.

Would these changes help you out, or do you already have this working?

Hi,

I just downloaded the nice work you done, but I'm having troubles.

Sorry to say, but I do not see any charracter when I run it.

I tried to output the texture directly to see if it was loaded correctly, and it was.

C#: spriteBatch.Draw(animData.texture, new Rectangle(0,0, graphics.PreferredBackBufferWidth, graphics.PreferredBackBufferHeight), Color.White); //<-- This gives a spritesheet on screen.

I have installed XNA 4.0 and I'm running VS2010 Prof.

Something I have overseen?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Is anyone working on updating Spriter XNA's importer/runtime to the alpha version?

Maybe we can collaborate, as i need this for my indie game, thanks!

I have made it for the a2 guide on my working project. It's not 100% but it's working fine for now but I still need to do a lot of otimizations. I cant release code but I can help in anyway I can.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Any chance for an implementation that either doesn't use the content pipeline or works in Monogame?

Edit: Never mind, I got the code to run without too much trouble. I forgot to rename the assembly name for the SpriterBetaRuntime. Now lets see what I can do with it. ^^;

Can you please detail what you had to do to get this working under MonoGame?

• 6 months later...
We've started up a project to support the new format: https://bitbucket.org/dylanwolf/xspriter

Currently, I only have the Hero and Monster example files working. There will likely also be some API changes as we add more features.

Using the basic concept of DylanW's code I managed to make a working implementation of the code for XNA. It supports bones, alpha blending and looping. As Spriter gets updated I'll do my best to keep this project up.

You can find the code here. If you find anything wrong with it you can contact me through these forums and I'll do my best to address them.

-- Geoff

• 8 months later...
This thread is probably a bit old now, but I'm also keen on getting this working under Monogame - preferably on OSX too

If you're not averse to using a cross platform engine, I have a FlatRedBall implementation that should work on monogame: https://github.com/kainazzzo/flatredball-spriter, though admittedly I haven't done anything to directly support mono.

If no one is working on an XNA or Mono game runtime, you could use the generic Java library with the IKVM, which is a VM for .NET. IKVM is shipped with Mono as far as I know and on Microsoft systems you would just add some extra dlls. It works very good. The only thing you have to do is to write a MonoGame/XNA loader and drawer, which is straight forward, if you look at the Java examples. Let me know if anyone is interested and I will upload a new example for XNA and MonoGame on Gitub. The only problem is that the coding style in Java is different from the one in C#. This could be bypassed with some C# wrapper classes.

- Trixt0r