Images Randomly Go Missing

DrPig

Hello, I recently got Spriter Pro on Steam and started using but this "bug" is completely preventing me from working on stuff. Sometimes, a random image (has already been placed and has been working correctly) disappears and the big red "Image Missing" box pops up. I have no idea what is causing this. 

yaa0M71.jpgIn this case, the hand on my character is missing. Before it was one of the fingers, and another time it was everything except for a few things.

Welcome, Dr.Pig,

Sorry to see you're running into an issue. I remember a similar issue happened to people in the past who were using certain art programs (like old versions of Photoshop) while using Spriter at the same time. Basically, Spriter would check for the image at the same time it was being re-saved from Photoshop by the user, so Spriter would fail to find it and think the image was missing. This problem was fixed several builds back, though..so I assume that's not the cause.

Can you think of when this happens? (the images being replaced by the red "missing image" graphic)

Does it happen directly after a certain feature is used?

Does it happen directly after you save?

Most importantly, if you then close Spriter, then reload, or just reload the project, do the "missing" images return, unharmed?

I think I remember this happening to me one about a month ago, while dealing with a Spriter project with larger than normal images, and lots of character maps, and I think it happened directly after I saved, but then the project was fine when I reloaded... I then forgot all about it until the thread.

Rest assured, we consider any bug that hinders work-flow to be a top priority, and well do our best to hunt and resolve this issue ASAP. 

Thanks very much for reporting the issue.

Cheers.

-Mike at BrashMonkey

Welcome, Dr.Pig,

Sorry to see you're running into an issue. I remember a similar issue happened to people in the past who were using certain art programs (like old versions of Photoshop) while using Spriter at the same time. Basically, Spriter would check for the image at the same time it was being re-saved from Photoshop by the user, so Spriter would fail to find it and think the image was missing. This problem was fixed several builds back, though..so I assume that's not the cause.

Can you think of when this happens? (the images being replaced by the red "missing image" graphic)

Does it happen directly after a certain feature is used?

Does it happen directly after you save?

Most importantly, if you then close Spriter, then reload, or just reload the project, do the "missing" images return, unharmed?

I think I remember this happening to me one about a month ago, while dealing with a Spriter project with larger than normal images, and lots of character maps, and I think it happened directly after I saved, but then the project was fine when I reloaded... I then forgot all about it until the thread.

Rest assured, we consider any bug that hinders work-flow to be a top priority, and well do our best to hunt and resolve this issue ASAP. 

Thanks very much for reporting the issue.

Cheers.

-Mike at BrashMonkey

The error goes on a random images usually a few seconds after I load the project. Even if I close and reopen it, the error will go to another random pic (it has been a different pic every time, I believe). Saving doesn't cause the error to pop up and I don't think any specific feature is causing this. I did use Photoshop CC make all the images. I really appreciate the help, a lot of programs don't have this kind of support. My OS is Windows 7 64 bit, if that matters. 

Thanks for the fast reply and additional details Dr.Pig,

So, if I do understand correctly so far, the images don't actually disappear from the folder, and reloading does make those images that show as missing reappear, BUT other (or the same) images might randomly be replaces with the "missing image" graphic at any time, even without saving or seemingly using any other specific feature?

If this is the case, this is definitely a new bug being reported that I've never seen before.

Would you mind sending us a zip of the entire Spriter project (the folder with all the images and the scml or scon file) so that we can see if there's any actual corruption or strangeness going on in the Spriter file itself? This might also help us see some correlation between certain image size, or other specific detail and the issue. (of course we will NOT share it with anyone and will prompt delete it after looking through it for clues to the problem.)

If that's OK with you, please email it to mike@brashmonkey.com (either the zip directly in the email or a link to it hosted on dropbox etc.)

thanks again.  We'll get to the bottom of this.

Cheers
-Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi again Dr.Pig,

I got the file and think I spotted the cause. The images are not only fairly massive themselves (the actual art), but are completely un-trimmed. (meaning you have body part images that are roughly 20 percent of the overall size of the image file, floating in a very large space of empty pixels.)

Is this character you're creating at the actual size you'll need for the game, or is it larger, like for a larger than full-screen boss?

If its bigger than it needs to be in game, I suggest you reduce the size of the character to match the actual needs BUT, more importantly, you definitely should trim the body part images so they don't have all that empty space around them.

My guess is Spriter is running out of texture (image) band-width and therefore the images are not all available for Spriter to use at the same time, so, it displays the missing image placeholder graphic.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mike