Images developing jagged strokes

mng

I've just started using Spriter to animate my Inkscape images. I've experienced an odd problem. If I rotate or scale an image a few times, the stroke on it becomes jagged,I also lose the ability to rotate any of my images. I can click on them and they get an outline but there is no handle to rotate them.

Hi mng,

What resolution are these images? Are you in pixel art mode? Did you accidentally lock those Sprites or accidentally create "skins" instead of Sprites? What OS are you running Spriter on?

There's not enough information in your questions. Can you possibly post screen grabs showing the situation, better yet a video recording of the problems? This will help us figure out exactly what's going on.

Thanks,

-Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying. I'm creating the sprites in Inkscape on a 600 x 600 canvas. The sprites shown below were exported from Inkscape as pngs at 90 dpi. The round one is 34 x 34 pixels. The other is 82 x 109 pixels. My screen resolution is 1366 x 768 on a 15" screen. I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

nmn7dw.jpg

This is what they look like after I put them into a Spriter project. The 2 sprites on the right were rotated or moved just a few times before the jaggedness appeared

The 2 sprites on the left were only rotated and moved once. This is how they look before and after I export them from Spriter. I have discovered that if I lock the rotation to 45 degree angles that the problem doesn't seem to occur but I need the ability to rotate at any degree. Also, I did not scale or skew the sprites.

As far as my intermittent inability to rotate sprites, no they were not locked and no they were not "skins". When it occurs, I can click on a sprite and get an outline but no handle to rotate. When they are locked, I don't get an outline. There doesn't seem to be anything I do to cause it. I can close the project and reopen it and the problem goes away.

Thanks

If you want silky smooth, then those images are fairly small. Keep in mind, this is pixel based images, not vector.

Make sure smooth sampling is checked on and that you're not in pixel art mode. (Spriter menu under "modes")

Keep in mind, Spriter is not corrupting images, its just previewing the animations with the transforms etc as best it can... if you use a game engine that supports actual Spriter files, then it will depend completely on the game engines rendering system, and not Spriter's preview.

If you are exporting sequential full frames from Spriter, and want the finished results as smooth as possible, I recommend you make sure those settings are as I suggested above, AND work at a considerably higher resolution, like 4x the final required size..and then batch reduce all the frames once they've all been exported, with a program like Photoshop or Irfanview (which is free).

cheers.

-Mike at BrashMonkey