Foreshortening and 3D angles?

Marscaleb

Okay, I have very little animating experience, but there's a logical conundrum I'm coming across as I try to think of how I need to animate my character.

Just as a simple example, imagine a character holds his arms straight out and level. Then he spins like a top. At 90 degrees his arm is now pointing directly at the viewer.

From that angle, his arm would look extremely short, from a 2D perspective.

How do I duplicate that effect properly in this program? If I try to scale the bones in his arm, then the image I'd use for his arm is super-compressed and won't look right. If I swap out the arm for a frame where the arm is pointing more toward the camera, then I'll have massive space around the arm, because the bones are 2D. Right?

How do I move an arm in a virtual 3D space?

Hi Marscaleb,

This sort of thing is exactly the reason Spriter is NOT just another bone based animator. Every key frame can have a totally diferent set of bones, Images, Collision rectangles and image-points...and each can be set to have diferent type of speed-curve (tweening) including no tweening at all.

There's no getting around it... a character spinning in true 2d space with a 2d engine requires original art for every part of the character per frame. For such animations, you can draw them in your favorite art program, or create them using a 3d model and render each frame out at the proper size and resolution...and then create your animation in Spriter using the sequential images.

You could even start and end the animation with your fully boned character made from seperate parts, but have the sequential image animation frames in between!

I"ll make a quick tutorial video for this when I get the chance, but likely wont have the time for a day or two.

The best way is to use the image-swapping feature of a single sprite. Here's an old tutorial video starting at the spot that explains what I mean:

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Mike

IMO, I think you ought to do a video tutorial that follows the whole process of creating a new character and a few animations. Showing how a feature functions is nice, but showing how it is implemented into an actual product is even better.

Personally, I'd rather watch a full video of creating an asset and follow along with it.