Shiva3D plugin for Spriter

8DashP

Thanks to Grimfang for all his work on the C++ implementation, I've managed to create a plugin for the Shiva3D game engine. It still needs a lot of polish internally before it's production ready, but it is actually working as is, and works optimally, creating only 1 draw call per entity, using Shiva pre-loaded resources, consisting of an SCML file (renamed extension .xml so it loads as a Shiva XML resource), and a TexturePacker atlas & data file. It is currently using internal atlas management, as the Spriter atlas data is not available yet.

As coping with the way Shiva handles loading resources and drawing has forced me to make numerous modifications to the C++ SCMLpp files, I thought it better if I split further discussion on Shiva into this separate topic, so I don't pollute the C++ topic.

I still only have my original video to show. When something more concerte is available, I'll update. If any Shiva developers have any questions or comments, feel free to ask.

Russell.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I have added multiple administrative type functions to set/get entity names, id's etc, modifying the overall scale and z-distance of sprite components (issues in 3d with perspective cameras and z-fighting make this necessary) and the ability to parent a spriter sprite to any 3D object. The spriter animation will them match the parents translation/rotation/scale to the scene object.

There may still be some gimbal lock issues with rotations. I have to continue testing. I need to make some spriter animations with gater than 90 degree internal rotations to test. Trying to put multiple 2D images into a 3D scene as a single game object is not without it's challenges.