Spriter doesn't load project properly

Freyne

Hi Freyne,

Sorry you're running into problems with Spriter.

I don't recommend you make the bones wide like that. It serves no purpose in Spriter and because that's not the way Spriter was intended to be used, it might lead to unforeseen  problems.

You also seem to be working at a high resolution. Can you tell me what the total pixel dimensions of that character would be, (or each body part)?

Also, if you zip up and email your Spriter project (the scml and all the images) to mike@brashmonkey.com I might be able to find a specific reason for the apparent corruption.

Thanks for anwer. Project size is 3000x4000 px. Parts are smaller (I used photoshop script to save all layers as cropped pngs)

I made bones wider so I could easier move parts attached to them. I didn't know it may cause issues (if so then I don't understand why bone thickness can be changed by user)

I really like how intuitive Spriter is but unfortunately because of bugs and random crashes I can't rely on this software. I moved on to Dragon Bones Pro that is free.

17 hours ago, Freyne said:

Thanks for anwer. Project size is 3000x4000 px. Parts are smaller (I used photoshop script to save all layers as cropped pngs)

I made bones wider so I could easier move parts attached to them. I didn't know it may cause issues (if so then I don't understand why bone thickness can be changed by user)

I really like how intuitive Spriter is but unfortunately because of bugs and random crashes I can't rely on this software. I moved on to Dragon Bones Pro that is free.

I find Spriter actually improving well and if it crashes its very eventually.

Maybe your resolution is too big size for stability. Yo could reduce your total image size at half before exporting and keep working double, that will solve a lot of issues (3000 px is a lot and cropped parts may be more than 500 px wide, too much!). If you work at 100% zoom in spriter you will see real size and how everything fits.

You can lock sprites when moving bones and viceversa. Another thing is be aware that you can drag all total images and bones used on the active animation on the zero frame, then start animating that makes things less buggy for me because most of the time you need all images and bones linked on the first frame so you dont get "strange" movements or scaling along the animation.

Keeping bone scale at 1,0 on both axes is a good idea when you are starting a fresh animation.

Cheers.

On 12/4/2017 at 6:44 PM, Freyne said:

3000x4000 is pretty darned large and likely to lead to out of memory type crashes or poor performance, especially when trying to export GIFs etc.

Yes sorry about the bone issue, you can scale bones in both X and Y because once an image is the child of the bone, you can scale the image by scaling the bone. This however leads to a few people, (including yourself) making the bones wide to begin with for aesthetic reasons, then assigning the images to the bones. This was unforeseen use, and because so few people did this and then reported the resulting problems, we never fixed the bugs related to it. We'll make sure this can never be a problem in Spriter 2. For Spriter 1, please leave bone with's alone when setting up your character, and only scale them if you want to scale the actual images attached to the bones.

If you work a bit smaller and don't start with widened bones I have a feeling Spriter would be drastically more stable for you.. 

Sorry again that you had bad experiences with Spriter. 

On 12/5/2017 at 12:56 PM, ruberboy said:

Maybe your resolution is too big size for stability. (...)

(..) Keeping bone scale at 1,0 on both axes is a good idea when you are starting a fresh animation.

I understand what you are saying but I don't want to be limited by software I use. Original image project is drawn with vectors and I want my animation projects to be future proof for Ultra HD 8K resolution (I'm also programmer and engine I use gives me this option). I don't want to hope that software will work as intended. I want to be certain that whatever I plan to do, will work.

14 hours ago, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

3000x4000 is pretty darned large and likely to lead to out of memory type crashes or poor performance, especially when trying to export GIFs etc. (...)

If software can handle it I shouldn't run out of memory (32 GB on my machine). I only need PNGs. Code I wrote can handle the rest.

14 hours ago, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

We'll make sure this can never be a problem in Spriter 2. For Spriter 1, please leave bone with's alone when setting up your character, and only scale them if you want to scale the actual images attached to the bones.

I will check Spriter 2 when it'll be released.