State of spriter?

shamsfk

Hi! I'm actually a very long time user, preordered Spriter when first heard of it.

And only now I'm in a real need for a 2d skeletal animations tool.

But it worries me a lot - Is Spriter abandoned by its Devs? Last Blog post is dated 2015, and almost nothing changed on API side of things.

Am I better to count it as a loss and go Spine?

Very hard to tell. I myself have been waiting for an update for a year now just occasionally lurking here but have yet to hear anything. The last thing i read in terms of progress is that Spriter 2 is in the works and will include features that are needed like mesh deformation. I do not know what the status is on that though. 

On 11/14/2017 at 8:18 PM, shamsfk said:

Hi! I'm actually a very long time user, preordered Spriter when first heard of it.

And only now I'm in a real need for a 2d skeletal animations tool.

But it worries me a lot - Is Spriter abandoned by its Devs? Last Blog post is dated 2015, and almost nothing changed on API side of things.

Am I better to count it as a loss and go Spine?

Sorry, we never really git into the habit of blogging at all. We're very much still active... mostly with customer service, the creation of additional art packs, some other cool stuff I can't currently talk about, and the (sadly still early) development of Spriter 2, which will be a free upgrade for all Spriter Pro owners.

An update build for Spriter should be arriving in the not too distant future as well.

18 hours ago, kyperbelt said:

Very hard to tell. I myself have been waiting for an update for a year now just occasionally lurking here but have yet to hear anything. The last thing i read in terms of progress is that Spriter 2 is in the works and will include features that are needed like mesh deformation. I do not know what the status is on that though. 

Is there a specific thing you're waiting for an update to? Are you referring to a specific feature etc? Thanks.

Thanks for your replies!

As for me, feature-wise Spriter is more than enough.

The most obvious things to desire are APIs aka Runtimes. Like SDL2 for really cross-platform games (SFML is kinda lame with no mobile support) and some might prefer Cocos2d-x. 

Community tries to do something, but it is unreliable and makes usage of a Spriter a big risk or a technical burden if we choose to write runtime ourselves.

I do like Spriter better, but with no good selection of officially supported APIs it is too hard to use(