Using spriter animation in Construct 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys,

checking Rablo's link above I just found this regarding the API:

Closing, see this thread for updates: https://www.scirra.com/forum/drawing-plugins-now-supported-in-r68_t197970

We might be missing a few APIs, so post to the forum about them if you need them, but basic drawing APIs are now available.

...so: @lucid

do you think we have any chance to have an interface support any time soon?

Many thx

Olaf

• 1 month later...

I feel for "Family Emergencies", and I hope all is well. 

Also, thinking about how this started from a Kickstarter, could you run another Kickstarter for Spriter 2 to bring on some other coders to finish the project faster. Or, have a Patreon for short term goals like this plug-in in order to bring on other programmers?  I applaud your efforts at not charging people more money for a product they have already bought, but I believe there are some people, like me, that would pay to support the product's development (as seen in some comments over the years). 

I'm an artist, so buying SpritePro packs doesn't really hold value for me, but if said that X % of money is going towards the development of Spriter Pro along with community surveys to which feature people would be giving money to develop, I would buy more SprierPro packs, and I think you could raise money for certain features as well as bring others for short term help.

I digress as I don't know all the stuff that's going on in the background and my view is coming only from my perspective, I just wanted to share my thoughts. 

Cheers 

On 1/21/2018 at 2:00 AM, Burning-Wood said:

I feel for "Family Emergencies", and I hope all is well. 

Also, thinking about how this started from a Kickstarter, could you run another Kickstarter for Spriter 2 to bring on some other coders to finish the project faster. Or, have a Patreon for short term goals like this plug-in in order to bring on other programmers?  I applaud your efforts at not charging people more money for a product they have already bought, but I believe there are some people, like me, that would pay to support the product's development (as seen in some comments over the years). 

I'm an artist, so buying SpritePro packs doesn't really hold value for me, but if said that X % of money is going towards the development of Spriter Pro along with community surveys to which feature people would be giving money to develop, I would buy more SprierPro packs, and I think you could raise money for certain features as well as bring others for short term help.

I digress as I don't know all the stuff that's going on in the background and my view is coming only from my perspective, I just wanted to share my thoughts. 

Cheers 

Sorry Spriter 2 is taking much longer than we'd hoped.. but progress is being made and is gaining momentum. We are a very small team with a tight budget, much of the revenue must be dedicated to general business and infrastructure maintenance. The team has one programmer and me, (an artist). We both work beyond full time hours for Spriter. Edgar focuses on Spriter 2 development and handles more technical customer support when I can't do so, and I handle the vast majority of daily business up-keep.. working on creating or managing the creation of Art Packs to increase value for non-artist customers and generate a bit more revenue for the business. Indeed without outside investment or crowd-funding we could not afford additional programming staff.  At the moment, the large time investment of all of these options would actually be counter-productive for too many reasons to get into.

I can't get into deeper detail, but I can assure you not a single second or penny that could theoretically go to finishing Spriter 2 faster is spent on the creation of the art packs, and in fact, the Art Packs generate more time and money towards the goal of Spriter 2's eventual release.

Beyond this, all i can say is were working hard to make sure Spriter 2 is worth the wait when it's finally released. Sorry of this answer is too vague, and sorry for the unexpectedly long development process for Spriter 2.

• 4 months later...

Hi @Mike at BrashMonkey, @lucid,

Could you please update us about the state of release of Spriter for Construct 3? I thought it was working already but the link you've put on this thread died in Scirra's forum changes.

Any chance you could give us a working link? I currently didn't manage to find the plug-in anywhere...

[EDIT] The link has been updated on the Construct forum, thanks!

Also, what is the status of the possibility to apply an effect (in C3) to given parts of a character? For example can I use effects in C3 to change the color of my character's hair if it's done with C3 and Spriter? If it's not available yet, any chance it would work in the future?

Thanks a lot! :)

Hello,

I have a problem with Spriter in Construct 3 which I didn't have in C2.

If I have two or more SCML objects visible on the same layout, only one object is displayed correctly. The other objects are drawn using the correctly displayed objet's spritesheet instead.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!

As Mike said I'm still working on Spriter 2 stuff at the moment, but I was able to take a look at this issue, finally.

I filed a bug as per Ashley 's suggestion, and it should be simple to update the plugin once the SDK supports animations.

I made an attempt to circumvent the issue using images instead of animations under the hood, and it doesn't seem like there'll be an easy way to do it without breaking projects and redoing a lot of work on the plugin.

Thanks for your patience again everyone.

Hey guys, I found a possible solution to the weird graphics on multiple SCML objects on a project.
I originally posted this here but noticed the problem was being discussed in this thread too.

I was having the same problem with the Spriter plugin for C3.

Problem:

• Having more than one SCML object can sometimes cause that one SCML  loads the wrong sprite-sheet.
  • This can sometimes be seen as "weird parts" cropped from the SCML object that is looking OK.
  • This problem is compounded the more SCML objects you add to the mix.

Why it happens:

• Construct 3 automatically generates sprite-sheets of all its graphics for smoother runtime.
  • However, this also includes the images imported for the base sprite-sheet parts of your SCMLs
  • This in turn causes that, since the sprite parts are located on a bigger sprite-sheet created by C3, the position of the image parts are now different.
  • The .scon looks for the image parts and crops them "correctly", however, the parts are now on a bigger and unpredictable sprite-sheet resulting in the issue.

How to solve it (for now):

• Since the problem occurs because C3 finds "spare room" to make a bigger sprite-sheet, then all we have to do is export a bigger, albeit inefficient, sprite-sheet from Spriter.
  • This is done by following the instructions to export the animation from @lucid's post on the C3 forums -here- BUT when generating the sprite-sheet set it to FIXED instead of MAX on the Dimensions section on the bottom left side.
  1. 1984864282_ScreenShot2018-06-21at12_40_09PM.png.49bbd61f04f443f2aa3b78255ed2f2d6.png
  2. 1142770319_ScreenShot2018-06-21at12_39_59PM.png.ffc044a4ce1308e61a23ed87f922acaa.png
  • This will cheat C3 into considering each SCML sprite-sheet animation as a single sprite-sheet on its own to export. Thus, solving the problem... for now.

But won't this cause a huge spike on the size of my game?

• Not really, if you notice, export both versions of the sprite-sheet (big with fixed 1024 and "max" 1024), and you'll notice they have the same size. The transparent useless space on your file does not add much to the final size of the .png, neither to the .scon file.

Hope this helps you all!
Did it work for you?

Happy Spriting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...