Change png size in exisiting animation

enero55

Hello,

I am completely new to Spriter and my question may therefore be pretty simple...

I have bought a character sprite animated with Spriter but the size of the sprite is not correct and I do not want to scale the png for quality reasons. I would like to know if I can simply create new "body parts" in AI in the correct size and then just replace the png:s in the existing Spriter animation without having to remake the animation.

If I understand your request, then yes. I suggest you load up the original body parts to use as a guide so that you make the replacement images rotated the same way, and with the spots for any attachments (where limbs, head etc must connect) in their proper places as well.

If you save OVER the original images with the new images, and the new images are the same exact name, same pixel dimensions, and drawn with matching alignment, then the next time you load the project in Spriter it will have your new art. 

HOWEVER I'm worried about your saying "the wrong size", because if for example you bought a character who's chest or thighs were too long or too short for your liking, you can not simply change the images, because the bones set up for the character in Spriter match the lengths of the original images.. changing an image won';t have any effect the bone that image happens to be a child of.. 

You have a chance with heads and extremities, because they have no child bones or images, so, for example, you can make head images bigger or smaller without much trouble.

@Mike: thanks for your reply.

When I wrote "correct size" I simply meant the scale, not the aspect ratios. To be more precise: the sprite I bought came in three PNG scales 300 px, 600 px and 1200 px high. In my game, I need the sprites to be 200 px and 400 px high. I also got the AI versions of the body parts and I wanted to "rebuild" the character in the sizes I want and then use Spriter to get the same animation. If I understand you correctly, that is possible to do provided that the image are the same aspect ratio and are rotated in the same direction.

hmmm. If you have Spriter pro, then first create a scaled clone of the entire Spriter project, enlarge properly so that the images end up the same size as the new images you purchased. THEN you can replace the old images (now up-scaled to match the size of the new images) with the new images, and then scale the entire Spriter project back down once it's got the new images in there.

I think this is the only way to replace the old, smaller images with the bigger images, while not having to totally redo the animations.