Spriter R11 Release

lucid

Hello everyone.  Here's a new Spriter release with a couple of minor additions and several important bug fixes.  Enjoy!

Download here

Spriter Release 11
Released 4/20/2017

Additions and Enhancements

• Added pro feature to allow you to set background guide images per animation. It's impossible to accidentally move or edit the background images unless you enter the guide image editing mode. Guide image information is saved in a way that will be ignored by external implemenations and Spriter's own spritesheet generation.
  • Hovering over metadata keys (variables and tags) now reveals their data

Changes

• Spriter will now prevent you from attempting to export to png/gif with an invalid custom rect source or target size (previously exited the dialog without exporting)
  • Added option to right-click to rename in the z-order and hierarchy panes

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a bug where moving animations from one entity to another would result in missing objects if the target entity already contained those objects
  • Fixed a crash that would occur upon closing the edit variable dialog if a key was double clicked to open it and then that key was removed in the dialog
  • Fixed a bug where variable keys couldn't be created in new animations created after the new variable was added
  • Fixed a bug where if a project was loaded with an entity that contained a variable, keys for that variable couldn't be created in animations that didn't already have at least one key
  • Fixed a bug that allowed you to drag an animation containing a sub-entity into the entity it was using as a sub-entity. This would corrupt the animation, as entities cannot be sub-entities of themselves
  • Fixed a bug that would cause objects to incorrectly update angles on multiple keys after being drag/dropped under certain circumstances
  • Fixed a bug where copy and pasting pivot points wouldn't work in certain situations
  • Fixed several bugs and a crash when moving animations from one entity to another under certain conditions
  • Spriter now attempts to automatically repair broken file associations that would cause default pivot points to reset to the top-left corner

• lucid pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Is was hoping the weird scaling issue that seemed to have been introduced in version 10 would have been addressed. The scaling handles on the top and and left side of the selected sprite boxes distort the image disproportionately  over distance making it difficult to adjust height and width of a sprite without having adjusting it's position. I'm running Spriter on a windows 7 system and a windows 10 system and it happens on both so I'm assuming its happening to a lot more people, or is this supposed to be happening? 

Edit- Ok it seems that scaling handles are tied to sprites anchor point, so when scaling a sprite depending where the anchor point is the sprite will be stretched. Is this supposed to be like this?? I have never come across this in any image editing software, photoshop, illustrator, inkscape, gimp normally scaling an image is a trivial affair . I can't see why a sprites scale needs to be related to it's anchor point. 

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/13/2018 at 9:44 AM, Robert Brooks said:

Hi is support for Spriter continued or isn't anybody working on it anymore?

Edgar (Spriter's programmer) is currently focusing on Spriter 2 until it reaches its first major milestone and is ready for testing within the community. Once that happens we'll make several announcements with at least a general road-map. Spriter Pro is not abandoned and will not become obsolete because it offers specific features no other modular animation program does that make it the best choice for several types of projects, especially retro/pixel art or for projects where game performance on more humble devices is important.

Even now Spriter and Spriter Pro continue to be supported through continued development of tertiary products like our Animated Art Packs, Environment Art Packs, and even entire game engines (the first of which will be made available for testing soon).

Spriter and Spriter Pro won't be introducing any new big features in the foreseeable future, especial because Spriter 2 will be a free upgrade for everyone who currently owns Spriter Pro, and Spriter 2 is completely new, built from the ground up specifically to provide an entirely new set of features and workflow.

Spriter 2, while now making excellent progress, is still too early for any concrete estimates, but you can subscribe here for updates : https://www.spriter2.com/

On 5/4/2017 at 9:32 PM, Robert Brooks said:

Is was hoping the weird scaling issue that seemed to have been introduced in version 10 would have been addressed. The scaling handles on the top and and left side of the selected sprite boxes distort the image disproportionately  over distance making it difficult to adjust height and width of a sprite without having adjusting it's position. I'm running Spriter on a windows 7 system and a windows 10 system and it happens on both so I'm assuming its happening to a lot more people, or is this supposed to be happening? 

Edit- Ok it seems that scaling handles are tied to sprites anchor point, so when scaling a sprite depending where the anchor point is the sprite will be stretched. Is this supposed to be like this?? I have never come across this in any image editing software, photoshop, illustrator, inkscape, gimp normally scaling an image is a trivial affair . I can't see why a sprites scale needs to be related to it's anchor point. 

There was a known bug in Spriter where it would cause bad results if you used the top left scaling node, but tha'ts been fixed for a long time. 

As for scaling based around the pivot point this is by design and is the most intuitive and useful for modular animation. Imagine you have a head image with the pivot point at the base of the skull, and you've already assembled your character with the head positioned on the neck. When you scale it, it stays properly attached to the neck because its keeping the pivot point in the same place.

Imagine you're animating an explosion and you have a ball of fire image. You enlarge the image over time and the pivot point is centered. This way the explosion properly expands from a central origin point.

Virtually any example I can imagine results in scaling from the pivot point more useful and intuitive. Of course, if you want it to scale from top left you can simply put the pivot point at top left.

On 7/15/2018 at 12:49 PM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

Edgar (Spriter's programmer) is currently focusing on Spriter 2 until it reaches its first major milestone and is ready for testing within the community. Once that happens we'll make several announcements with at least a general road-map. Spriter Pro is not abandoned and will not become obsolete because it offers specific features no other modular animation program does that make it the best choice for several types of projects, especially retro/pixel art or for projects where game performance on more humble devices is important.

Even now Spriter and Spriter Pro continue to be supported through continued development of tertiary products like our Animated Art Packs, Environment Art Packs, and even entire game engines (the first of which will be made available for testing soon).

Spriter and Spriter Pro won't be introducing any new big features in the foreseeable future, especial because Spriter 2 will be a free upgrade for everyone who currently owns Spriter Pro, and Spriter 2 is completely new, built from the ground up specifically to provide an entirely new set of features and workflow.

Spriter 2, while now making excellent progress, is still too early for any concrete estimates, but you can subscribe here for updates : https://www.spriter2.com/

This is great news! Thanks, I'm really looking forward to Spriter 2, I absolutely love this program it has made my life easy. Thanks so much! 

• lucid unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic