Spriter 2 and FFD

MichaelMouse

11 hours ago, MichaelMouse said:

fair enough. FFD isn't a big deal for me at the moment but nice to have just in case. I didn't realise skin mode wasn't supported, says it's a pro feature in spriter. I take it that means the plug-ins don't support skins then?

To clarify, skin mode is there, but it has a few bugs which won't be fixed, and yes, it's not supported in any run-time, so its only useful if you're exporting your animations as full frame sequential images or GIF's.  Despite the few bugs, many community members have done pretty amazing animations using skin mode.

The reason skin mode is not supported officially (reason we won't fix the bugs or add it to runtime) is it was just a proof of concept test, and we realized to do deforming in a proper, more optimized way, we'd need the entire Spriter core code and data format to be different, so instead of supporting an inherently sub-standard deforming feature in Spriter Pro, we're building Spriter 2 around deforming feature (and lots of other features outside the scope of Spriter Pro) and it will be a free upgrade to all Spriter Pr owners,

Spriter 2 is still a long, undetermined time from now though, unfortunately.

Fortunately I prefer sprite sheets over complicating things with runtimes anyway :-). I appreciate Spriter 2 is a way off and you don't want to commit but are you expecting anything, even a beta, before next year. Seems like it was announced quite some time back so curious to know if there's been some snags. Just being nosey really. I'll likely upgrade to pro regardless.

Sadly we're really not able or willing to make even a vague estimate as things can end up taking a vastly different time as expected, and many unforeseen things can come up which really push things back. This in part explains why there haven't been any updates or estimates so far, and why we're not willing to project any estimated dates.. We can only promise we'll get a beta release first privately tested then public as soon as we can manage, but that's still a long way off.