Spriter R10 Bug Thread

lucid

Hi, I've been having some issues with my Pro version of Spriter, not the Steam version. I uninstalled and redownloaded it fresh about 5 days ago, but the issues are persisting.

1. When I set pivot points on my first set of .pngs it will allow me to copy the pivot point and paste it to any other .pngs that I want to. But if I have to set another pivot point after this first one, the copy and paste feature doesn't work anymore. (not a huge issue, just annoying if I have to set the same pivot point, manually, over and over)
  2. Rearranging the order of animations causes the animations to become corrupted (missing sprites, partial animations) and the program to crash. (big issue, I've had to redo a lot of animations because of this, sadly)

That's all I can remember right now. 

Also, I'm just wondering, is there any added benefit to getting the Steam version of the app? More updates? New features? If not, I'll just stick with the version I have now. I really do like this program; its super easy to use and I love that it exports to TexturePacker, which is something I use all the time, creating game assets!

I have been having trouble getting Spriter to let me enter values into the angle field. I can't enter a negative value at all, and it is only letting me enter one number at times before it stops working. I thought my (wired) keyboard stopped working. But as you can see it works fine in other applications. P have looked to see if any rotation locks are set and they are off.

32 minutes ago, Wicked said:

I have been having trouble getting Spriter to let me enter values into the angle field. I can't enter a negative value at all, and it is only letting me enter one number at times before it stops working. I thought my (wired) keyboard stopped working. But as you can see it works fine in other applications. P have looked to see if any rotation locks are set and they are off.

While you can of course in reality rotate something by negative amount of degrees, there's no such actual thing as a negative angle... for example, -90 is actually just 270 degrees. However, ideally Spriter would convert a negative degree number to its actual angle when you press enter. I'll mention this to Edgar.

I understand that, but I have an object that needs to rotate counter-clockwise. The only thing I have been able to manage so far is setting the initial frame to 180. It then rotates the right direction to the first frame, where it stops and rotates the other way. I just thought as I was typing I guess I could flip all my images =)

But how else can you do that if for instance something needed to rotate 360 one way then back the opposite direction? Actually now that I think about it I need to be able to do this.

58 minutes ago, Wicked said:

I understand that, but I have an object that needs to rotate counter-clockwise. The only thing I have been able to manage so far is setting the initial frame to 180. It then rotates the right direction to the first frame, where it stops and rotates the other way. I just thought as I was typing I guess I could flip all my images =)

But how else can you do that if for instance something needed to rotate 360 one way then back the opposite direction? Actually now that I think about it I need to be able to do this.

An excellent point. I totally understand why you wanted to enter a negative number. Unfortunately, Spriter always uses the path of least resistance when tweening angles, meaning if its shorter to rotate clockwise between one key frame to the next, it will, same for counter clock-wise, so if you want something to rotate counter-clockwise, you need to add another frame in between going half the way to that angle.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 x64

Spriter r10 crashes if launched from Steam.

No problem from the "direct" version (from archive)

Game update: AppID 332360 "Spriter Pro", ProcID 22134, IP 0.0.0.0:0
>>> Adding process 22134 for game ID 332360
BrashMonkey Spriter - Version r10

Setting up main window...
Successful.

Initializing model...
Successful.

Setting up widgets...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Game removed: AppID 332360 "Spriter Pro", ProcID 22134 
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

1) The copying and pasting of Default Pivot Points still sometimes doesn't work. In case this effects it: I'm trying to copy it from an image in one sub-folder, and paste to an image in a different sub-folder.

2) There's also a strange thing where if you click on an object at the left pane that is currently Hidden in an active Character Map, the viewport seems confused and unsure what to show, and the software or computer system can freeze up a bit, and it's unsure how to fix the view. Because of the freezing, I get nervous and restart Spriter, and just try avoiding clicking on an object that is currently hidden.

3) When using the program for a couple of hours or so, a bug can cause objects to lose the ability to have their size edited nonuniformly, such as by only X or only Y. It can still be changed by inputting numbers or using the arrows in the Object Properties box, but no longer by the visual small white squares. The software must be closed and reopened to fix it, but this is an inconvenience due to the lack of being able to save and load a custom work area.

4) It's possible for 'hidden keys' to occur, in which although there isn't a visible key in the Timeline, you can tell that animation is happening that can't happen unless there's another key there, and when you check individual object keys below, you find that there are in fact existing keys that don't show up in the Timeline. Deleting those individual object keys is the fix.

5) A really bad one, that I wish I could somehow discover a better lead as to the cause of it, is that the lip sync process isn't working in my current project. I know I still know how to do it, because when I make a new test file, it works, with the exact same audio file, mouth image, Papagayo data file, etc., that won't work in the current project file. Pretty nuts. I feel unwilling to manually handle each lip sync frame myself, but may resort to that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2017 at 1:40 PM, mildanach said:

1) double-clicking sprite to rename it works only once after opening a project

This issue may be because it's tough to rename sprites in the Z-order widow. Switch to the Hierarchy window when renaming. When I rename in the Z-order window, I spam double-clicks and F2 at the same time til it lets me do it. Moving the mouse pointer a bit during the double-clicks helps too.

On 26/01/2017 at 8:25 AM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

An excellent point. I totally understand why you wanted to enter a negative number. Unfortunately, Spriter always uses the path of least resistance when tweening angles, meaning if its shorter to rotate clockwise between one key frame to the next, it will, same for counter clock-wise, so if you want something to rotate counter-clockwise, you need to add another frame in between going half the way to that angle.

I actually came to report an issue contrary to this.  Actually it's a three part bug report:

1. I've got some animations which should only be slight rotations of the individual bones, but it's causing them to wildly spin limbs around.  I'm doing a cross over animation from a knee pointing to the left on a digitigrade character to the knee pointing right, necessitating rotation and counter rotation.  The tweens however cause the leg to wig out and do a 350 spin into the body rather than do a slight angle change.  It would be nice if the program read the intention of the motion when the keyframe is made, rather than optimising it incorrectly, or gave us a curve editor which let you specify the start/end point of the animation to force it to "go the long way".
  2. I'm having problems exporting 2 of 15 animations.  Most of them export properly, but the 2 refuse to export as separate PNGs, and crash on GIF export.  I believe it's related to bug 3, which is...
  3. In those two animations I encounter scenarios where bones or the sprite attached to them scale to 0 along one axis and for some reason get placed at 680000.00000 x and y.  When this happens I can't edit anything about that particular item.  There's no case where my animations go anywhere near the 600px point on any axis, let alone 680000.

I can provide my project if you'd like to look it over.

Addendum:

I'm using Spriter Pro r10 through Steam on an Alienware 17 r3 running Windows 10.

Sometimes hitting Play/4 can cause Spriter to freeze, becoming unresponsive to another tap of the 4 key, instead constantly playing the animation, crashing in the worst case scenario.

Again, another way it can crash that I think I reported before is when you select an object from the list at the left that is hidden in the current character map. It seems to zoom out the view a lot, as if a result of not knowing what it should try to show or focus on, as the object is currently hidden, and can result in a crash. It happened many times, so it should be a very easy crash to reproduce.

• lucid unpinned this topic