Share your workflow

mindflayer

Hey all,

I'm interested in hearing about your workflows. Thought it'd be helpful to have a thread where anyone can post their process, the programs they use, etc.

Here's the workflow for Mausoleum of the Medusa, which was my first experience with pixel art and with animating.

Four-directional characters

• For the rough versions, I hand-drew each frame in Photoshop (CS3), then tossed em into Unity (2D) to test animation.
  • Then I learned about GraphicsGale. I started refining and testing the animations in there, then double-checking in Unity, then touching up sprite sheets in Photoshop.

One-directional characters

• Since these characters only appear in a "south-facing" direction, I incorporated Spriter into my workflow.
  • First, I drew the characters in Photoshop; animated in Spriter; tested in Unity; touched up sprite sheets in Photoshop

Hopefully this is useful for others! I'm preparing for a larger project which involves eight-directional movement, so I'm especially curious to see what others do for games like that.

MausoleumoftheMedusa_08.jpg